[Web Player] Enable Private Listening in Web Browser

I have to use the web player for music at work, and the music I listen to at work is not music that I want factored into all of my playlists. The option to listen privately, or else exclude the music from the Discover Weekly playlist would be helpful for this purpose.

Updated on 2020-01-13

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-03-15

Marked as a new idea 🙂

This idea is a repost of this inactive idea.

WitmoX
Visitor

I don't understand why private sessions would be disabled for the web player. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Phone use at work is strictly limited, even to listen to music. And nobody but the single computer admin has the ability to install anything on our computers. Obviously, Spotify isn't a concern for him and he won't install it on our computers. The music I am most productive listening to isn't music I'd necessarily say I'm ashamed of, but I certainly don't need my outside-of-work friends to give me a hard time for listening to orchestral music. And I can't imagine how much that would mess with my recomendations for new music (I'm VERY picky about my composers and have no interest in suggestions for the genre, I like to discover them myself).

Private session was a great idea. I see no excuse for it to not exist for the web player, especially if it still exists for the apps, unless you're trying to force people to install the app. But that isn't okay. I hope whoever decided to get rid of private sessions on web finds a Lego with every barefoot step they take until private sessions are enabled again on web.

I am actually paying for a subscribtion here. I don't think I'm out of line in expecting all the features premium offers to be available to me on both the apps AND web. I don't care how few people see this as something worth complaining about. It shouldn't take hundreds of users in a certain time frame complaining about something lacking for Spotify to address it. I care enough about the absence of this feature on web to count for several people, and the fact I actually PAY for this should multiply that by 100.

BRING BACK PRIVATE SESSIONS FOR WEB.

tammyyim1
Casual Listener

I'd also like this option. I totaly agree with previous commenter @WitmoX. I don't want others at work to know what I'm listening to at work, don't want my music to factor into my recently played when I don't want to etc. I've had Spotify for YEARS and sometimes the web player is the only option to use Spotify (can't use cell phone at work...)  and I can't believe they haven't gotten this option on web player when everything else they've got has had this option for ages...

C'mon Spotify there's no excuse for you to not have private session on web player! You guys need to be getting with the times and have the same features across all your platforms!

BRING PRIVATE SESSIONS TO WEB PLAYER

hans-jürgen
Roadie

Enabling a private session also temporarily disables Last.fm scrobbling which might be useful as well, e.g. at work where you can only listen to Spotify with the web player.

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2020-01-13

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!