[Web Player][Podcasts] video resolution is too high for people with small GB contracts

When watching YouTube videos, I can set video resolution easily and quickly right there on the video screen, without a pile of hassle of going into a preferences menu.

I've tried streaming Spotify podcast video on Firefox browser and Spotify app on Macbook, and neither offer video resolution!!!

On the browser, there are no settings at all.
On the app (on Macbook), in Preferences, there is an audio setting, but that does not affect video resolution.

On the app, even audio setting set to LOW resolution, the video still plays at 720.
What's the point of offering audio resolution but not video resolution?

Upon chatting with customer service in chat bot, they suggested I get a bigger internet contract! 😞

Watching two JoeRogan podcasts back to back cost me 9 GB, out of a 90 GB contract, that's a 1/10 th of my monthly allowance! Plus, my internet capacity can sometimes handle 720 resolution at off times, but not during busy hours.

Come on Spotify/Microsoft, you should be able to offer better settings. Charging 10$ a month on 345 million users, you can afford customers better controls!

Updated on 2021-08-06

Hello @tnt666, and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

A similar idea is already gathering votes here. Feel free to add your +Vote and subscribe.

In the meantime you can do the following to limit your data consumption when watching podcasts.

• Desktop - switch off the video with the X icon.
  • On mobile - go to Settings > Podcasts > Download only audio.

Hope this helps 🙂

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2021-08-06

Hello @tnt666, and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

A similar idea is already gathering votes here. Feel free to add your +Vote and subscribe.

In the meantime you can do the following to limit your data consumption when watching podcasts.

• Desktop - switch off the video with the X icon.
  • On mobile - go to Settings > Podcasts > Download only audio.

Hope this helps 🙂