[Your Library] Bring Spotify's old UI back

So Spotify for whatever reason decided to make the app as inconvenient as possible. The previous set up before this new update was so easy to navigate, find the artist, songs, radio stations, and podcasts whenever I hit the library icon. Now I have to search for and add all these artists basically all over again and frankly I'm pretty mad about it to the point where I want to cancel my subscription. Whats even more frustrating is trying to contact Spotify themselves so I can complain in hopes of actually getting something done about this is like a game and seemingly impossible to get a direct hold of. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. Can someone please help fix this? I just want the old spotify back.

Updated on 2019-06-26

Hey Folks,

Thanks for adding your feedback and votes to this idea. We seem to be getting a lot of different ideas in this thread so we'll try to address a few of them here, but as a heads up we have an extensive blog about the changes to Your Library here.

We wanted to highlight that your Recently Played section can now be found on the home screen. Additionally, it's also possible to sort your Albums, Artists and Playlist by Recently Added. To do so, pull down to reveal the search bar, click the 'filters' options and then select 'Recently Played'. You'll also spot some other filter options, like 'Name' so you can sort your playlists alphabetically.

NYL_TWITTER_02_SearchFilter.gif

The update has also brought changes to your Liked songs. Previously this was a section in Your Library, but now they'll appear as a playlist called Liked Songs at the top of the Playlists section for fast access. When you Like or Save an album, we add it to Your Library but we don’t automatically add all songs to your Liked songs. You can Like songs individually to add them to the playlist, or click the ‘Like All Songs’ option in the 3-dot menu to save them all at once.

Whilst not part of this update, we've seen a few mentions about where Radio has moved too. You can find it by going to any artist, album, playlist, or song, clicking the three dots and selecting 'Go to Radio'.

If you have any specific questions about how the new update works, feel free to post in our help boards here.

Thanks!

Comments
Neiratina
Visitor

I agree. For starters, I miss the old search bar on top of each playlist (which if I remember correcly, wasn't even visible unless you scrolled to the very top) and the quick arrange playlist button. Ironically, this new 'minimalistic' interface now has everything cluttered under a text based menu where nothing has visual priority or clear difference between the many different options and it's just a mess. Also, I've noticed they recently removed the song library tab completely (instead replacing it with a "Songs You Liked" PLAYLIST) and selecting an individual artist now redirects you to their homepage instead of just the songs you saved from them. What if I want to listen to that specific artist but just the songs I added to my Library? I couldn't find a workaround.

For some reason, they also changed the default playlist order to "lastest listened to" and I honestly can't think of any reason why chronological order would have more priority than the user custom order in this case... I can only say in their favor that I do like the new Podcast interface.

jjjd04

We got over 300+ votes and still nothing. I was told by support that if we get more then 100+ votes they'll probably respond. Has anyone heard anything from Spotify? 

themisnyx

I agree, partially saved albums is all I ever navigate by. 99% of my saved albums are partial. Now half of them is gone, possibly never to be found again, the other half redirects to a full album page - full of songs I don't want to listen to! I didn't spend hours and hours of saving and deleting certain songs to make a perfect library, just so all my effort is taken away again by an update which makes everything far more complicated. I normally just klicked on play on a random album, and it played my one or two saved songs from the album - now I have to skip - skip - skip... until ich reach them.

vishra
Visitor

Frankly, this is one of the worst UI updates I've ever seen. 

I'm not going to go off the deep end about it in its entirety, but I want to approach one specifically that is going to make me consider cancelling our Family Premium plan. The Artists tab is now functionally useless. As someone who downloads a ton of songs by various artists, I have no way to access them easily. Previously I had a convenient way to see every artist in my library, so I could browse it and decide what I wanted to listen to. Now if I want to do that, the ONLY way to do so is to scroll through hundreds or thousands of songs. That's so incredibly unintuitive I can't understand how even an intern designer could make a decision that stupid. **bleep** it would be usable if there were even a toggle option in the Albums tab for "show partial albums" but there isn't even that. You've invalidated the way I and a large additional portion of your userbase listens to music for no discernible reason.

On top of that, who would make the design decision that saving an album would add it only to the Albums tab and not populate the Songs or Artists tab? This is basic logic at this point that is being thrown out of the window. A user should not have to save the album, then go and save each song individually, to obtain the same functionality we had in music players 20 years ago. You've somehow taken an intuitive, easy to use UI and thrown out major pieces of it for no apparent reason.

bobgure

Exactly my thoughts.  It couldn't have been worse if it was deliberately intended to screw things up.

Pointless and nothing short of sheer incompetence.  Tragic, considering how wonderful it was with a beautifully designed interface.

Tars_Cooper

100% agree!

I have a number of extensive playlists that I currate myself and collaborate with friends. When you hit edit with the intention of moving songs further up a playlist, a new drop down window appears showing your playlist from the beginning (not from your current view) meaning you now have to scroll and find the song you wanted to move. Also, now when searching for a particular song or artist in your playlist, spotify will only shuffle play that last search rather than allow you to play that song and then continue to shuffle the rest of your playlist. If I wanted to filter by artists I'd do that. I love spotify, but this latest update feels like a massive jump backwards to UX and UI.

If there were any feature I would suggest should be added, it would be the ability to check on and check off songs individually in a playlist as sometimes I may not want to listen to a particular song in alist, but it does not mean I want to delete it from that list. This is a feature I miss a great deal in iTunes.

x

Neiratina
Visitor

This is just an assumption but I bet the new "Songs You Like" playlist replacing the good old separate Songs, Artists and Albums tabs is intended to be downloaded as a whole in case we want to listen to our Library offline. Since they couldn't solve the issue of offline songs and partially saved albums being randomly deleted this is probably the best solution they could find.

Heck, I created a playlist called "Download" where I put the same songs I want to listen offline when given the option to save an album or favorite songs from an artist because they kept randomly disappearing each time my phone rebooted - and I couldn't trust Spotify managing my offline data anymore without getting a bitter surprise each time I opened the app outside of my house... 

Ghudd
Visitor

Yes, please undo the latest update! I've been paying for spotify premium since 2013 and loved it the whole time. I recommended it anyone I talked to about music. I haven't even tried any other service cause I've been so satisfied with spotify (except the lack of albums by Tool or King Crimson but I'm sure that's the artists choice). But I really, really, strongly dislike the new update. My playlists keep getting jumbled up in weird orders based on last time I played them when I used to have their positions in the list and subfolders memorized and in a specific order. The lack of shuffling all my downloaded music is a bummer. The offline artist page is messed up I also liked just seeing downloaded songs, organized by albums. In general the new update makes me feel sad and I will try out other services for the first time. Honestly I still love the ipod classic UI and I still dust it off from time to time and play it. If my library always looked like that I'd be stoked. Hopefully it gets better again cause I really used to enjoy spotify and honestly would've payed like 3x the price cause I loved and used it so much. 

asauk170

Truly horrible updated Spotify UI. Spotify WAS the absolute best music app/platform to have ever existed for YEARS and then all of a sudden someone decided to make it much, MUCH worse.

At first I thought, “ok things have been moved around - not a huge deal” but still felt like the old organization/presentation of releases from an artist was better.

For example, an artist page used to look like this (from top to bottom): a picture, the top songs, similar artists, albums/LPs (from newest to oldest), singles/EPs and then some other stuff at the bottom.

THERE IS NOW AN ARTIST PAGE WITH NO RELEASES WHATSOEVER. wth???!!??!!

If I search for an artist and they have a Spotify profile then I should be able to see that artist’s releases ON THEIR SPOTIFY ARTIST PAGE - I should not have to search for an album by title alone.

The new order is “Popular, Featuring _______, Fans Also Like, Appears On, Artist Playlists” without ANY mention of albums!!!!!!!

There is no explanation that could justify this change. Absolutely unacceptable. I’ve used Spotify for years and suddenly it’s gone from the bet app I’d ever used to what seems like a Beta.... except I’m paying for it. What. The. F*ck Spotify?

mbsully

Very frustrated by the new update and will reconsider my membership if a solution is not presented. Is it just coinicidence that my new "liked songs" list conatins nearly the exact same number as the comment below? (1,682 songs). Having the ability to scroll with similar features to iTunes was very nice and convenient. Now my Artists list only contains a handful of artists (6), when it used to contain every artist I had saved or added to a playlist.  Maybe iTunes has it right and I need to return to them? Say it ain't so!

@clantonnn wrote:
  1. Been searching for a couple days about this same problem, and finally found someone who had as big of a problem with this new update as I have. My biggest issue with the new update is how the artist tab works. Instead of going to artist and playing all the songs that you have saved from that artist, as it should be, and was my main method of listening to music for 3 years since I've had Spotify, it takes you to the artist page. Whereas, I have alot of artists that I like I do not like every song by that artist. So, if I want to find all my saved songs by a specific artist I have to go through a playlist that consists of 1,678 songs (not an exaggeration) that is in order from most recently saved to oldest saved. Which is very inconvenient and definitely makes switching to a different music app highly probable. That being said, I hope this reaches someone that works high enough up in the company to do something about it, and I hope other people with the same problem see this and complain and share everywhere possible so that the people that work for Spotify do see it.