[iOS][CarPlay] Add ability to Save to Library from Now Playing screen

I use Spotify in my car using Carplay all the time and it's very annoying to not have the ability to quickly save a song I like with a tap when I'm in my car. It'd be great if you guys added a button to the Now Playing screen (next to the shuffle/repeat buttons) that allowed us to Save (and prehaps even like/dislike songs). Apple Music already has this feature on Carplay and so does the Spotify app on Android Auto.

Especially since Discover Weekly and Release Radar are so popular, I imagine being able to save a song you've heard for the first time is a very oft-used action. The fact that we are unable to do so in Carplay is a huge missing feature.

UPDATE: Noticed today that certain playlists like Discover Weekly already has Like/Dislike buttons in the Carplay UI (see screenshot attached) that are accessible through a button in between the shuffle/repeat buttons that's labeled with three dots [...]. My request would simply be to (1) make the [...] button available for all tracks and (2) add a new option in that [...] menu to "Save to Library". (To avoid the buttons stacking up too high, the Like/Dislike buttons could be two halves of a split button on one row, with the Save button above or below it.)

IMG_2789.PNG

Updated on 2019-09-06

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

Since the original idea which was suggested by @peterjwu has already been implemented, we're going to close this idea.

There's a similar idea regarding the 'like' (❤︎) button which you can add your votes to here.

Thanks! Stay awesome :)

Comments
Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-03-10

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

iksmodag

See the attached concept drawing. Currently if I want to add a song to my library while driving I have to pick up my phone, unlock my phone, open Spotify, navigate to the Now Playing display and touch the + button. Very unsafe! Please just add a button to CarPlay as illustrated.

Edit:  Some stranger on the internet suggested also adding "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" buttons.  Added a second concept drawing to illustrate this.

Edit 2:  Another stranger on the internet noted the Spotify app on Android auto already has all of these features and more.  The lack of these features on CarPlay may be a result of CarPlay restricting Spotify from implementing these features.  Only one way to find out...reach the 50 vote threshold and receive an offical response from Spotify. 

1617E87A-94B9-418F-9F67-8E1E4E3B1873.png
Carplay Suggestion_2.png
LeoRager
Community Legend
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2018-03-16

Hey! Thanks for your feedback!

As you can see I've merged these two ideas!

/L

djriful
Regular
Voting for this, I need this for my long road trip.
iksmodag

Carplay Suggestion_2.pngConcept Drawing

peterjwu
Gig Goer

Updated the Idea to show how certain playlists like Discover Weekly do have Like/Dislike buttons in the Carplay UI (see attachment) that are accessible through button labeled with three dots [...]. My request would simply be to (1) make the [...] button available for all tracks and (2) add a new option in that [...] menu to "Save to Library". (To avoid the buttons stacking up too high, the Like/Dislike buttons could be two halves of a split button on one row, with the Save button above or below it.)

IMG_2789.PNG

iksmodag

I like your concept art better than mine!  Nice work. 

peterjwu
Gig Goer

@iksmodag thanks, but that’s actually not a concept! It’s a screenshot of a feature the app currently has on discover weekly playlists. I was just saying how this could easily be expanded to do what we’re asking for. 

peterjwu
Gig Goer

By the way, we now have 50 votes! Hope Spotify responds soon!

iksmodag

@peterjwu So I thought you created that screenshot because my Spotify CarPlay app does not have that feature when playing my discover weekly playlist, see screen shot below. Implementing new features into the Spotify CarPlay app might be an issue if there are a bunch of different versions of CarPlay out in the wild...9A46B6B0-E0FF-43F5-949A-FAB0037E11E6.png