[iOS][Music] let user set iPhone audio output level before playback starts to avoid blowing out ears

Here's a bad scenario:

* Connect iPhone to headphone jack feeding into car stereo, crank iPhone volume all the way up to give the car stereo a good signal

* Later in the day, connect iPhone to earbuds and play some tunes

* iPhone plays at max volume, blows out my ears, ouch!

What's really bad here is that if you have the iPhone connected to earbuds and crank down the volume to try to avoid this problem, then hit Play, the Spotify app dumbly ignores that volume setting and snaps back to full max volume, presumably remembering what the volume was when it was last playing in the car. One way to fix this might be to detect that the user has just changed the volume. In any event, great if you could fix this because I've got tinnitus and every time my ears get blasted, it can leave them ringing for a long time.

Otherwise great iPhone app, thanks!

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-07-26

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-07-28

Marked as new idea.
This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

nikadaemus

This is something that I deal with on a daily basis. I ride my bike into work and wear my headphones while I ride. (criticize if you will, but I've heard it all before) I ususally have to turn it up to almost full volume to hear over the wind in my ears. Then I get to work and have to keep my headphones out of my ears, press play and then turn the volume down after it starts playing in order to not get my ears blasted. I used to be able to adjust a volume bar at any time in the app, but that feature was removed for reasons I don't understand. Would LOVE to see this issue deal with. My ears would greatly appreciate it. 

ThunderHorse_nz

This issue really spoils what is otherwise a great app.  Everyday I max out my playback volume in my car and then the next time I go to use my headphones I have to press play and have my headphones play at max, explode your ears volume while trying to quickly turn them down. 

I believe iOS should detect and maintain seperate volume levels for different audio devices automaticaly but in my case I use AUX in my car which can't be differentiated from my 3.5mm jack headphones.  I would be nice if Spotify allowed me so change the headphone volume while playback was paused.

Myself and many other users (who might not be proactive enough to look up this suggestion) would really appreciate a fix for this as you can bet it effects more than 3 or 4 people.  

Green_Manalishi

No matter how many times I tell myself "hit play--turn volume down--THEN insert earbuds" I still forget.  And I blast my ears.  This seems like such an easy fix...  And I was really surprised to see this issue discussed on the Spotify forum a year ago, only to be closed due to lack of "kudos," or whatever system is in place to mobilize the developers.  Anyway -- I love Spotify, so I won't discontinue my service because of this, but it would be nice to eliminate this additional contributor to premature deafness.

kiwikrag

This is such an annoying feature, I too have the volume set to loud when connecting my phone to my car. I turned the volume down in the iphone but Spotify remember it's previous volume and then blasts out of my headphones whilst at work. So annoying I have a cut off 3.5mm audio jack that I plug in, turn the volume down, pause and then plug in my main headphones. Please please fix this!

mhallsj

What's the status of this? I've finally trained myself to hit play, turn down, and then put in headphones.. but occasionally I forget and blast my brains out. This is a SAFETY ISSUE, not a simple feature request. 

GrumpyWookie

Same here !!    I turn down the volume first, and put earbuds in.   Press play - and BLAST !!    WTF !     It's now back to a higher volume.

Why does the iPhone have different volume settings for apps ?    Shouldn't Spotify just "play at the chosen device volume" - as opposed to it's own setting ??

Less learned - hit play, check volume, then put in earbuds.   Annoying....

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-07-26

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!