[iOS] 'Next Track' Handling via Car Interface

I have a 2015 VW GTI and an iPhone 6. Whenever I connect my phone via the MDI cable (Lightning to MDI) and attempt to go to the 'next track' via the steering wheel or head unit, the Music app opens and begins playing. I've previously chalked this up to being a limitation in the car or how the iPhone handles the commands sent by the car. I signed up for a trial of Tidal today and was surprised to see the app handle 'next track' via steering wheel without issue. Clearly, Tidal is handlind this command properly, while Spotify is not. Please improve your app by supporting this.

Updated: 2016-04-05

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-04-07

ijansch

In my 2015 BMW the issue is similar but slightly different. As soon as I press 'next' using any of the car's controls, the connection between phone and car instantly drops out and I have to reconnect to be able to play again.

pablo_92

It's happening to me too, it's frustrating. I have a VW Golf MK7, but I suppose this happens with al VW cars.

Jamesrhindle
Same problem here. It is frustrating, especially as it seems to handle it just fine over Bluetooth. Maybe now Apple music has been released, Spotify may start to pay attention and offer an update to address the MDI issue. I'm just curious though - is it definitely a Spotify issue, and not a VW firmware issue, given that Spotify does, as I say, work over Bluetooth without a problem? Why would the app struggle understanding wired signals as compared to wireless from the same control? Is this not an issue with VW and the MDI cable? Either way, I'm tempted to just return my MDI cable (they're not cheap!) and use a USB charger and Bluetooth my phone for connection...
mvn1966

Same here with a VW Golf 2015 and iPad Air iOS 9. Also the album art doesn't change when the next number starts (without forwarding) . It's definitely a Spotify issue because I also use Deezer and it is working flawlessly then. 

Jesmanae

I own a VW and I'm having the exact same issue with the Spotify app through MDI cable. Bluetooth works fine, but (obviously) doesn't display album covers. I have an iPhone with the latest iOS update and the Apple music app works perfectly fine, displays album covers and handles 'next' and 'previous' command from steering wheel controls and head unit seamlessly. I'm assuming this is an issue regarding the Spotify iPhone app. I've read that it used to work fine with previous app versions, but at some point, with an update (not sure wich one) it stopped working properly.

It'd be nice to have VW and all car brands full support back within the Spotify app. It's not convenient -either safe- that you need to look at your phone to change a song while driving.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-04-05

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!