[iOS][Your Music] Legacy Option

Hello There,

I have been using your service for many years now. When I began it was very simple. Search an artist, find a song/album you want, add it to your "library". I would go to my library and could scroll through my artists (i particularly loved the letters on the side of the screen that made it even faster to scroll around). 

I am not here to criticize the changes that have been made lately (to the mobile app, specifically for iOS), but I personally do not find the changes to be beneficial, nor are they very user friendly. They do not really make sense to me, and I am getting frustrated with the current set up. I believe it would be very cool to offer a legacy format to the application which would make my library act more like a windows media/itunes library. I find it far more intuitive, easier to navigate and I do not believe that it would interfere with your current algorithms that provide recommendations and the discover weekly (both of which are amazing and beautiful tools). 

I want to reitterate that I love your service and hope to continue being a patron, but I am very frustrated personally with the few latest big patches (last 9 months or so). Current layout is far from intuitive, I do not wish to follow most of the groups that I enjoy. The "your release radar" was perfectly fine for knowing when new albums came out. Maybe adding that as a listed playlist in "playlist" section of my "library" would be a more effective place for it to be. I am not a programmer, or developer, but I do spend a lot of time using various app and program interfaces and have been in the music scene since the early (glory) days of Napster. Not that that makes me anyone special. 

Hope this helps. I really would apreciate a Legacy option, I think it would be particularly helpful to an older crowd, i could imagine them having a lot of difficulty with the current interface.

Thank you for your time,

Brennan (54rc45m)

Updated on 2019-07-12

We’re closing this idea as it doesn’t follow the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
  • Your Ideas are already live and can be found in the Live Ideas section

Please post a detailed explanation of the change you’d like to see, with one idea per thread again in the Idea Submissions board.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

Comments
crackling
Casual Listener

It is bringing back memories of when lastfm self combusted.

Anja94

I chose to comment under this user's post because of how polite and constructive his feedback is, and because I'm coming from a similar place as a long time and avid user of my chosen music library platforms.

I'll start by saying that I personally like a lot of things about the update - I think the layout looks great and I like that recently played is now on the home page. I know you guys are pushing into podcasts, and even tho I don't listen to many myself I do think the new layout works great for balancing music and podcast libraries. I think the library section did need restructuring and is now more user friendly and streamlined overall.

My biggest qualm is the changes made to the artist section. That's where I do all of my browsing outside of the realm of my recently played and playlists. Having to follow artists that I've already saved music from in order for them to show up here is frustrating and non-intuitive to me. It's an extra step just to show the information (namely artist name and # of songs saved by them) that should just appear automatically when I save a song or album.

I navigate my music library from the artists page-so naturally it's where I search for the things I've saved, but I also keep it sorted to recently added so that I can just hit save on a track or an album to have it right on top so I remember to listen to it. Now I have to build everything back up by hitting "follow" on all my pre-existing artists and burry the new things I find in that process. And I do know that I can sort albums and liked songs by recently added, but I'm now traveling to two additional areas of the app just to accomplish what I used to from my artist tab and this frustrates me.

Lastly, I experience huuuge lag in loading pages in the app since the update. I'm running Android 8.0 on an LG V30.

I know you guys are over loaded with feedback at this time, just want to say thanks for taking the time to review user reviews. I love Spotify, I've been a premium member for years and I'd hate to leave over this, but I'm frustrated enough to even leave a review and I do hope for changes in the future. 

Firmamento
Casual Listener

Great review, @54rc45m !!

I'm with you 100%. 

I will  add that I AM strictly here to criticize the new app. I would not be here wasting precious time of my life if this new app didn't frustrate me to this degree. You would think having an alphabetized list of your artists is standard with an app like Spotify. Not too sure if they removed that feature from desktop versions of Spotify, but I only use it on my Android device. It is extremely irritating and illogical. You deserve more votes! We deserve a change immediately!

And @Anja94, let's hope the Spotify team realizes our frustrations and can make the necessary adjustments in a timely manner. I have been a Spotify Premium member for years as well, and do not plan on ending my subscription. Though if changes are not made any time soon, I just may have to!

nikkipitzs

I am very frustrated with this new update as well. Nothing is in alphabetical order so it takes forever just to find what I am looking for. I am also unhappy with the fact that they got rid of the “recently listened to” part of the app. I used that about 90% of the time. I relied so heavily on that and now that it is gone, it is making me rather angry. Spotify needs to take into account what everyone is saying about this update and revert back to the old version. This update just seems like some cruel joke to me. I am not a fan of the people who designed this and approved it. The new update is such a mess and it is really unfortunate that they got rid of key features that people enjoyed. If they don’t fix it soon they are going to lose a lot of members and money. 

JuanDoble

I support the release of a ‘Legacy Edition’ version of the app. I wouldn’t expect another UI update again just like on my iPhone 4s. And I would be a happy subscriber again!

crackling
Casual Listener

Someone else posted this link, which gives you a legacy version on android. Maybe there is an IoS version too.

https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android.download

8.4.95.785 version

I'm only using this as I paid my year's subscription upfront , so I can't think about leaving just yet. It does also mean that I cant update, which should be a worry for security/ stability upgrades I imagine.

I'm hoping Spotify see some sense and change the new UI pretty soon. However, I'm thinking it will be like most big corporates and they will have spent loads on this update and will refuse to back down. I think that would be foolish 

epe_85

Spot on. This is very frustrating having spent years curating the album library and all of a sudden these chages are messing around with my saved albums, songs etc. Very sad and unintuitive.

Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2019-07-12

We’re closing this idea as it doesn’t follow the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
  • Your Ideas are already live and can be found in the Live Ideas section

Please post a detailed explanation of the change you’d like to see, with one idea per thread again in the Idea Submissions board.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here