I have cellular data switched off for my Spotify mobile app because I listen to a whole lot of music and it eats up my data. I have a lot of songs downloaded, and most everywhere at my university has wifi access. It's annoying to not have an option to prevent the "Cellular Data is Off" notification from popping up every time I open the app. A "don't show again" option would be reeeeeally nice!
... View more
In the music quality settings menu, add an option to set a different speed quality for wifi and cellular usage. I'm a premium user and when on wifi would like to stream high quality, and when on cellular would like to stream standard to conserve data usage. Currently I have to change this myself and when I forget and leave the setting on extreme, it will suck my data package in no time. Please add this easy setting!
... View more
Want to make Spotify Premium worth buying? Make the Spotify App smart enough to manage the priority of using Device vs. Wifi vs Mobile for playing music when it comes to downloaded content. What is the great benefit of being able to download music otherwise?
Spotify Premium should default to playing downloaded files from the device instead of Mobile without a user having to constantly switch between Online/Offline Mode!
Having to put it in Offline mode to accomplish this hinders my ability to naturally interact with the Spotify app because if I suddenly decide I want to start a radio station from a specific song or Browse guess what I have to do? Go back into the settings and make it Online again, and then if I want to conserve my data plan I have to go back in and use it Offline again. And if I leave it in Offline Mode and enter a Wifi area? I have to go back and switch to Online mode. This is crazy given the amazing capabilities of smartphones and apps to be intuitive and affect behavior seamlessly.
Adobe's 2014 U.S. Mobile Benchmark Report clearly shows Wifi connections dwarfing Mobile connections largely because of the death of unlimited data plans.
More reasons this would be a great benefit to Spotify and its users:
1. This would create extra incentive to download content to devices which helps the Spotify business model.
2. You would certainly make mobile phone networks happier with less bandwidth use.
3. I don't want to create more work for myself whenever I get close on my data plan and it would be nice to know Spotify isnt the culprit for my (often) monthly data management efforts.
Why I had this idea:
On long car trips I will listen to music for hours and it is using my 4G connection automatically. This is killing my data plan and preventing me from using it for other, more important uses.
How this process could work:
1. If a User chooses to play something other than downloaded content THEN the Spotify app can seamlessly use the 4G connection as anyone would expect.
2. The Spotify App could send the necessary playback data info when the device was back in Wifi coverage, or on a regular schedule (hourly, daily) over the mobile network while the app is open or automatically upon closing the app.
3. Worst case, this should be a management option in the Settings tab just like controlling when to sync or download music.
THX for your time.
Satisfied Spotify Premium user since October 2010
... View more