Announcements

non-algorithmic playlist shuffle

As a paying spotify customer, I want a non-algorithmic shuffle function to play all songs of my playlist in a random order, without tampering by an algorithm, thus allowing me to hear all songs of my playlist. The current so called "shuffle" ignores many songs altogether, like described in the previous ideas and threads mentioned below.

A non-algorithmic playlist shuffle should simply work like the shuffle function of an ipod, mp3 walkman, youtube playlist etc. by reordering the current playlist in a random order and then playing the songs of the reordered list.

Discussion about unsatisfying so called shuffle in spotify has been going on at least since 2012, and the broken function has not yet been fixed or given an alternative until now in 2020. Similar discussions, bug reports and feature requests so far include:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Shuffle-Is-Only-Going-Through-A-Handful-Of-Songs/idc... # Shuffle is only going through a handful of songs, and

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Shuffle-algorithm-that-favours-quot-unpopu... # Shuffle algorithm that favours "unpopular" songs.

Updated on 2020-08-30

Hey @fraktalisman,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We understand that you'd like to see that option available but as you mention we have a live similar idea that has already been suggested here.

Sticking with the guidelines of our Ideas Exchange, when an idea gets the necessary amount of votes it will be forwarded to the Spotify Staff that could look into it.

With this in mind we'd recommend leaving a +Vote on the idea above to support it, so that it would it would have a better chance of being considered further.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
Music Fan

lp.png

The screenshot above is IMMEDIATE result of turning on shuffle and playing my whole library (queue view)

I have 1994 songs in my library

I have 42 songs from Linkin Park in it

42/1994

Someone who is good at mathematics please calculate possibility of Linkin Park appearing so many times in the initial results of queue.

This was also happening with other really popular bands and artists to a point I had to remove them from my library.

To name a few: Disturbed, System Of A Down, Skillet, Three Days Grace, Bullet For My Valentine etc.

I am highly suspicious that algorithm targets popular artists on purpose.

Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2020-08-30

Hey @fraktalisman,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We understand that you'd like to see that option available but as you mention we have a live similar idea that has already been suggested here.

Sticking with the guidelines of our Ideas Exchange, when an idea gets the necessary amount of votes it will be forwarded to the Spotify Staff that could look into it.

With this in mind we'd recommend leaving a +Vote on the idea above to support it, so that it would it would have a better chance of being considered further.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!