Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

optionally structured, criteria-based, auto generating playlists

1. the idea I have here is to have spotify generate a playlist or a hierarchial structured playlist based off certain criterium we the users would define.

simple example:

one would be able to generate a playlist based off all albums published in 2012. This playlist would populate automatically from the spotify database. there would also be options to freeze the playlist, or to freeze certain songs (hence turning the song title icy blue for example), from updating. (this option would not matter so much in the case of all albums published in 2012, but rather a list generated via song rating would be more appropriate)

complex example: (see visual example below)

this playlist starts the same as my simple example, however we would be able to add playlists below the main list which would ultimately filter the list down. the option to freeze a playlist would apply separately to each playlist in descending order. so if we were to freeze a higher level playlist, and still assuming each list below is generated from its parent list, unless frozen, the current list would be generated from the frozen parent list.

+ New Playlist

- albums published 2012

+ (New Playlist)

- genre: rock

+ (New Playlist)

- rating: 5+

+ (New Playlist)

- artist(s): x, y, z

- genre: hip/hop

+ (New Playlist)

- songs featuring other artists

+ (New Playlist)

- rating: 10

other notes (may be desktop version only at first):

• there wouldnt be I, a, i, or 1 markings, just say a + when the list is collapsed and a - when the list is expanded
  • allow for dragging and dropping playlists, which would allow for placing at any playlist level
  • list collaboratation would only be available with unfrozen lists, or an option as to not allow list collaborators to unfreeze the originators frozen items

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted over 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again!

Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Community Legend

I think there was an app released on the App Finder that is doing similar to what you want,

Filtr

Casual Listener

thanks for your response krikelin as it has allowed me to find a better way of describing what it is that I want to propose.

I looked into the Filtr app and it seems that it is used to generate playlists for you, which is partially what I want, however the fundamental concept behind my idea is that once you have a playlist in place (be it auto generated via filtr, or self made song by song) these "sub-playlists" would ultimately just be filtered versions of its parent playlist.

the idea is the appearance of the separate playlist versus traditional filtering which is normally handled by drop down boxes or columns like itunes has (which both change the list your looking at to show filtered results).

• (for the sake of a description, here i'm talking about the android mobile app) the android mobile version of this idea, for example, would work like this: normall when you open a playlist you see your listing of songs. when a filter is added, a line item appears at the top of the list with the filter description, then a separator separates the filters from the songs.
  • once a filter is selected, the parent playlist gets filtered showing all new results with its filters at the top, etc.

Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 40+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted over 1 year ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again!

Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!