songs disappear from playlist

Here's the problem... It drives me nuts that songs I've saved to my playlist disappear because record labels don't want their content on Spotify.. Or here is Spotify's answer:

"As all content is licensed from a number of rights holders there are cases where a rights holder asks for content to be withdrawn. This can happen in some cases where the rights are sold to another rights holder, perhaps one we don’t have an agreement with yet, or if a rights holder has decided to not license music to ad-funded streaming services any longer. This can create a gap where Spotify doesn’t have the music for a while. We promise that we’ll try to get the music back!"

If you're going to withdraw music, that I essentially pay for because I'm a paid user. Then tell me! Send me an email so I'm not frantically searching my spotify account for the song that "disappeared." Also I understand removing songs from people that do not pay for your service, but I'm more than happy to pay you for my music. So don't take it away from the paid users! 

We need to organize some sort of awareness so record labels will license their music to Spotify. Now I'm going to go download that music that I can't get. The record labels are either getting my money through Spotify or none at all. Occasionally I'll by a CD from a band I love, but that is because I want to support that band and keep a hard copy.   

If more **bleep** like this keeps happening then I'm leaving Spotify. I'm not going to pay money for music that I keep in my library and have it randomly disappear. Spotify for your sake and ours, help us generate awareness that this is how it needs to be. You have the resources to make it happen, and we (spotify users) can help to spread awareness to these douchey record labels. 

A similar idea has already been suggested here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Alert-window-that-displays-if-when-a-track-has-been-re...
Add your kudos there please! 😉
Comments
Spotify Legend

Tracks that become unavailable are hidden by default. If you find yourself searching for them fruitlessly, turn the option off. You can do this in Preferences, under Playback (This also features in the options sections of the mobile apps).

Spotify for your sake and ours, help us generate awareness that this is how it needs to be

This is what Spotify is doing, and has been doing since before we launched. We have a highly dedicated team working with licensing. This is what they do all day, and most likely what they lose sleep over at night. It's a hearts and minds war, which is being slowly won.

That said, there are other reasons why tracks can become unavailable.

This can happen when, for instance, an artist switches distribution. Often tracks reappear a short time later (Think of that before you delete a greyed out track).

Also, tracks are sometimes taken down and resubmitted with slightly different track info. Spotify will do its best to re-link your track (the chain symbol), but sometimes this fails. If a track becomes unavailable, have a quick search for it, using a loose search term. You may find it under a slightly different name.

I'll have to set this to "Unspecified". It is certainly an "idea", but it is the idea. We all want it, and it is constantly in the process of being implemented. When it is fully and completely implemented, our licensing team can retire.

Spotify Legend

Thanks for the response Jude! I'm happy to see you guys vocally moderating the forums. 😄

I did everything Jude said and the box for hiding unplayable songs was already unchecked. And yet songs keep disappearing from my playlist with NO WARNING or even ANYTHING telling me it has happened!!! This is so frustrating it makes me want to quit spotify! PLEASE FIX THIS SPOTIFY! Just tell us or mark it in red or SOMETHING!!!

Along with kirstinkiki, it would be nice to see that change. Of course tracks will turn grey when not playable, which is completely acceptable and worthy of understanding, but the silent loss of tracks from playlists can be frustrating. For me in paricular, and as well for I'm sure many others, when you have playlists of over 1000 songs, when looking back at it every day and watching the number drop down 20 tracks or so, it can be a little frustrating to know your organized music is slowly being taken down. And most of the time it's simply the artist just switching labels, albums, or names even. A really good idea would be to create, somewhat like what kristinkiki said, a red font of the song or something of that sort to indicate the track had been removed so that it gives (even paying!) users a chance to replace their music. 

Music Fan
The problem still persists. Tracks disappear from my playlists, nothing remains. No greyed out Items. If the songs reappeared on Spotify in the meantime, I can readd them, but how am I supposed to notice specific tracks disappearing without notice out of playlists containing some thousand songs?
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Duplicate

A similar idea has already been suggested here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Alert-window-that-displays-if-when-a-track-has-been-re...
Add your kudos there please! 😉