Step 1

NEXT STEP

Backstage-pass.png

Backstage Intro
Meet the Stars

Backstage Intro: Meet Matthew!

MichaelW

Backstage-pass.png

Our Community Rock Stars can submit blog posts to be published on the Spotify Community Blog. To find out more about the Rock Star Program click here. 

Hey there, @mapuya19 (Rock Star)! Tell us something about yourself.

Hello! I'm a going to a sophomore in high school this upcoming school year. I'm also an anime and manga fan, a tech geek,  a gamer, an audiophile, and a comic geek. Somehow I manage to keep up with all that while being a Spotify Community Rock Star. I also built my computer last year in August, and that was a lot of fun. Probably the achievement I'm most proud of.

Slack for iOS Upload.jpgSo, what kind of music are you into?

I'm really into EDM, Pop Punk, Pop, and J-Pop. Yeah, it's all over the place. I started listening to EDM back in 2013 thanks to Spotify. It all started with "You - Tiësto vs. Twoloud Radio Edit" by Galantis. As for pop and pop punk, I pretty much grew up surrounded by that stuff, and I just got back into blink-182. Now, with J-Pop, it's just really anime music and some other tunes. I don't understand all of the lyrics, but at least they sound really good to me.

What album would you listen to if you could only choose for the rest of your life, and why?

Hmm, that's a hard one. I've been enjoying the album Endless Fantasy by Anamanaguchi lately, so probably that one. I really love the "8-bit" retro feel to it. I can listen to it in almost any situation. If I'm doing homework and want some background music, it fits right in. If I want some music to get me hyped up for a Counter Strike: Global Offensive match or a League of Legends match, I can go right ahead play some Anamanaguchi.

Name five movies with the best soundtracks you can think of!

I really enjoyed the music in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Rocket Science, Inception, and The Giver. Oh, and I can't forget Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That movie's soundtrack was by Anamanaguchi as well, with their signature "8-bit" retro sound. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist had a nice uplifting and somewhat adventurous feel to it. I even used the main theme of that movie for the intro into one of my school's plays since I was the sound designer for it. Inception's soundtrack really immersed me into the dream sequences, and I still listen to that soundtrack to this day when I want to make looking out of the car window really dramatic.

Thanks for taking your time to chat with us. Before we go, what joke always makes you laugh?

One of the best jokes I've ever heard is from Reddit. "If you're ever cold, go to a corner. It's usually 90 degrees."

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 2.43.49 PM.png

3 Comments