In Our Headphones: December 2018

In_our_headphones-green.png

Hey folks,

Happy New Year!

For most Spotify listeners, December is typically a month which is dominated by Mariah Carey, Michael Bublé and a variety of Spotify-curated holiday-themed playlists.

Not so with our Spotify Community Moderator team! Although occasionally guilty of playing Coffeehouse Christmas on shuffle (at least I was), our choices for this month’s In Our Headphones were anything but conventional.

For starters, @Tom and his friends made a collaborative playlist for New Year’s Eve and put it on shuffle to see what would come on at exactly midnight. ‘Solitary Daze’ won, and Tom was “very disappointed that it wasn't 'When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings'”. When asked why, he said, “It’s just a very good song”. I think we’ll be the judges of that one, Tom.

spotify:track:4rM4UGMXWH03SGZUobuxoW:small

Meanwhile, I was absolutely stoked about @Daisy’s blog post on Women to Watch in 2019, which featured the likes of Davina Michelle, Jade Bird and Sigrid, to name but a few. 2018 was undoubtedly one to remember for female artists, with Ariana Grande becoming Spotify’s most streamed artist ever, but 2019 is looking just as promising for them. Last month, I stumbled upon two up-and-coming female artists who I am confident are both bound for glory in the New Year.

SHAED is a trio with a female lead vocalist who have been around for a couple of years now, but who were recently shot into the limelight when their song ‘Trampoline’ was featured in the new MacBook Air ad. My favourite tune off their EP, Melt, is called ‘You Got Me Like’. Despite its unmistakable summer vibes (“Lying in the grass/Drinking lemonade”), it turns out that they penned the tune “during a snow storm” - who would have thought it!

spotify:track:1bdpipEj4HVcgcEMqC6GI5:small

Maggie Rogers is arguably one step ahead, with an EP already under her belt and a few singles released from her upcoming debut album, ‘Heard It In A Past Life’ (out later this month). The American singer-songwriter cuts deep with her lyrics, especially in her latest single, ‘Light On’. She wrote an emotional post about it on Twitter prior to its release, saying it’s the “most vulnerable” she’s ever felt in a song. Take a listen (and if you're listening on mobile, follow along using our Behind the Lyrics feature):

spotify:track:5AdnkoZJuRJCYqYBIzSqFb:small

Vulnerability is hard to fake, especially when it comes to music and writing, and Maggie Rogers is not afraid to lay it all out in her songs. I’m excited to see what 2019 holds for her and for her fellow female artists.

Some of the Community Mods’ choices seemed to aptly reflect their mood as the year drew to a close. @Daisy was feeling positive and had ‘High Hopes’ for the coming year, while @Guido was more wary of the future, saying it ‘Feels Like We Only Go Backwards’. Perhaps it’s just a case of “two steps forward, one step backward”.

In any case, we hope 2018 was a blast for you, and that you all sent it off with a bang and a good tune to go with it. And if you didn't, well, there's always December's In Our Headphones playlist:

spotify:user:spotifycommunity:playlist:6lv6DjjryalvuDqg0oirRb

Here’s to a new year full of music, Mixes and melodious magic.

spotify:track:7F5oktn5YOsR9eR5YsFtqb:small

Happy listening! Stay awesome.

1 Comment

Well done! Woohoo.

spotify:track:1rqqCSm0Qe4I9rUvWncaom

Labels