Announcements

Introducing great new ways to discover music

Roadie

We're very happy to announce some major upcoming changes to Spotify. Never again will you have to ask the question "what should I listen to next?" as we're about to make music discovery easier and better than ever.

First up is the new Follow tab

Here you'll not only be able to see what your friends are listening to, but also what playlists they're creating and sharing. And it's not just your close friends  - we're happy to welcome on board real artists and tastemakers who'll keep you updated with the latest songs you have to hear.

Want to know what Bruno Mars is listening to right now, for instance? That's only a click away. Follow him you'll get an update as soon as his next album is out, too. Connecting with your favourite artists has never been this easy.

Whilst you're following lots of interesting new people, you'll also want to check out the Discover tab.

Here, we'll be your new best friend and offer handpicked recommendations that we think you'll love. We'll give you a full explanation of why we've picked each song too - like any best friend should.

You'll get concerts reviews, new people to follow, recent album releases and plenty more - all on the same page. That's more time spent listening to music that's right for you - and less time head-scratching.

Fancy something we've picked out? Add it to your Collection and it'll be waiting to be listened to whenever you feel like checking it out.

But wait, there's more! Last up is the Audio Preview feature.

With all this great new music you'll be discovering, you might not want to interrupt the song you're currently listening to. After all, why should the music ever have to stop?

Simply hover your mouse over a song that you fancy and you'll get a short snippet to listen to.Then save the song for later, play it in full or go right back to what you were listening. It's up to you.

The upcoming changes will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks. The first installment of these features will come very soon. So if you're keen to try out these for yourselves just hang on in there. A great new music discovery experience is on the way.

For any new updates as they come in, please subscribe to this thread:

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 19.58.04.png

445 Comments
Music Fan

Yup, totally agree. The old design was MUCH better, in all ways. Also, the new version is MUCH slower, and full of bugs. A customizable side bar would be nice, I liked it much better when I saw what my friends listened to instead of all those people Spotify keeps following before even asking for my permission. Oh, by the way, where ARE my friends? I can't find the list anymore. >=(

Community Legend

@Brols wrote:

Yup, totally agree. The old design was MUCH better, in all ways. Also, the new version is MUCH slower, and full of bugs. A customizable side bar would be nice, I liked it much better when I saw what my friends listened to instead of all those people Spotify keeps following before even asking for my permission. Oh, by the way, where ARE my friends? I can't find the list anymore. >=(

Hey 🙂 

There are links and information about the new social changes in this post.

Unfortuantely, there is no way to view all of your Facebook friends activity or even view a list of all of your Facebook friends anymore.

Peter

user-removed
Not applicable

Anyway to reroll to before the newest update? I guess not....

But this new following system is just plain annoying! I miss my good old automatic listing of what my facebook friends were listening to. WITHOUT me having to click follow on everyone of them.

And I ahve no need for Spotify to force following of different artists on to me. That is why I make my own playlists and use the radio function when I want something new.

I loved how my activity bar just showed what my facebook friends were listening to without me having to do anything. Was a good inspiration source for me. Now it is just ruined since I wont be bothered to follow every single one of my friends.

And what is this new white layout on the artist pages?? Way too much iTune alike design.
Before it was way easier to quickly scan over the pages back when it was black.

Actually there is nothing good for me in the new update. And that is actually very very sad since I have always seen Spotify to be the one music system that has never dissapointed me.

I look forward for a redo of all these mistakes you have made this time.
And please bug-test it all before release, because the new update is filled with system errors!

Music Fan

Received the update recently. I like the new follow feature BUT what's up with the white artist profile page ?

The previous black screen was really good. I hate the new white page. It seems so out of place and really ugly.

One more thing I was wondering about. Is there a way to stop 'recommendations'. As someone else pointed it out at least give premium members an option to block these recommendations !

I have to echo what others are saying.  I hate the new white screens, and hate the 'featured' people/artists to follow section.  At a minimum premium users should be able to turn off.  Also, why can i only see a few of my friends on spotify at once and have to scroll through with a refresh button to see more?  terrible UI.  What gives, spotify?

Roadie

Okay first of all guys, the white screen is kinda weird I agree.... But that's only because of the weird contrast of black and white. The interface of the future desktop client will look NOTHING OF THE SORT. Have you guys seen the new web player? Well the  UP-COMING desktop client update planned for the end of Q1 2013 which is coming to an end will look almost Identical to the web player. The update that you guys have recieved is just so you can start following people since you were demanding that "Follow Update" earlier on in the update frenzy. 

So JUST CALM DOWN. I know it looks ugly right now but it will soon be well-put together and look beautiful 🙂 

Trust me!

-ChaseChaisson

Community Legend

I've seen the web UI and I don't like it due to the white screen.  I **VERY** much prefer a dark background when I'm going to be looking at any screen for an extended period of time.  I don't want a light background in Spotify, and I'm clearly not alone based on the many complaints I've read about it.

I think Spotify is a phenomenal service, and I've discovered more artists in the past few weeks than I have in my entire lifetime thanks to Spotify.  But many of the changes in the latest version are simply horrible.

user-removed
Not applicable

I have watched the video. Still waiting for all of the wonderful to happen. Apparently the people in charge at Spotify have not heard the saying, underpromise and overdeliver.

Someone at Spotify is in love with Social. Great, but not that important to me. The old methods of discovering music work just fine for me...related artists.

IMHO Spotify has lost sight of what is most important to subscribers. We need an app that is easy to use and has all of the IMPORTANT features that make managing music 'collections' or 'playlists' easy. 

Most needed features - now please

Device management

Better playlist management - alphabetize

Alternate views -- playlists / traditional library (Artist / Album / Song)

Filters that real people will use

Music Fan

Is there going to be any way for me to browse the playlists of people who listen to the same playlists as I do?

I don't really care about anything else.

In 8,5 (which I have downgraded to - those who are asking?  Yes!  You CAN still use the old version of spotify!  I have it running right now!) I was able to find a playlist I liked through a google search or something similar.

Then I could see what other playlists that person had published.

Then I could see who else listened to that playlist.

Then I could see what other playlists those people had published.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to replicate that functionality under the new version.

The radio?  Pshaw.

Music Fan

Spotify has booted quite a lot slower since the update. Anyone else with the same problem?

Spotify Legend
Casual Listener

Hi Richard how are you?

Can i hope you help me. I'm fan of GHOST. A music italian band. I had search them with their Album "La Vita è uno Specchio" and i find this in an another session. There's another band Ghost, but their are japanese. I want to say, exist a mail to write and create GHOST to add their songs. So we fans can follow right page?

Sorry for my errors  a big hug

Community Legend

@ValentinaModica wrote:

Hi Richard how are you?

Can i hope you help me. I'm fan of GHOST. A music italian band. I had search them with their Album "La Vita è uno Specchio" and i find this in an another session. There's another band Ghost, but their are japanese. I want to say, exist a mail to write and create GHOST to add their songs. So we fans can follow right page?

Sorry for my errors  a big hug

Hey! Welcome to the community 😉 

You can report any errors in content such as this directly to the Spotify content team by following the steps outlined in this post and they will be able to look into a fix. Currenty Spotify don't have a way to separate artists with the same name in the client, which does sometimes  present issues such as this one. This is also discussed in quite a lot of detail over on the Ideas Exchange here.

Peter

Roadie

May I remind Spotify.... This monday marks the first day of the 2nd quarter 2013...... That is the deadline for the new features to be rolled out. Spotify will be late if they fail to release the new features before this date. I have been awaiting the new completely redesigned client and web player to be fully up and running for about 4 months now, maybe even longer. So Spotify better step up their game for the next few days.

Casual Listener

Thanks Peter  you are great kissssssss

Roadie

Okay, it is now officially the first day of Q2 2013 and there is still no major client update or web player/ mobile app release..... So I'm kinda expecting something major to happen withing the next week, or else waiting this long for an update is rediculous. I hope to see an update soon!!!!!! 

-Chase

Roadie

Alright, is anyone even going to reply to me? Spotify!!! The update should be coming really soon because they are overdue!!! And I have waited long enough! PLEASE reply to this. ANYONE. Even people who arent working with spotify or anything. But I am seriously so excited for this new update and I have been trying to keep my excitement level up for about 5 months now.

Community Legend

I haven't heard anything about the new features recently, but we never do! Spotify are incredibly good at keeping things secret! 

The 0.8.8 update which introduced the Follow Tab only went public (to the download pages) either last week or the week before, so maybe things are taking longer than expected? 

Patience is a virtue 😉 

Peter

Roadie

Alright, this is a direct quote from the Spotify Developer website, 

"

When will this be available?

Discover tab will be rolling out in early Q1 2013 with development resources enabling you to build integrated experiences in our Web Player, iPhone, and Desktop app.

"

Well..... Where is it Spotify? And where are the tools and resources? 

-Chase

Spotify
Spotify
ChaseChaisson - Have patience, you'll see it before long.
Labels