Announcements

Introducing great new ways to discover music

Roadie

We're very happy to announce some major upcoming changes to Spotify. Never again will you have to ask the question "what should I listen to next?" as we're about to make music discovery easier and better than ever.

First up is the new Follow tab

Here you'll not only be able to see what your friends are listening to, but also what playlists they're creating and sharing. And it's not just your close friends  - we're happy to welcome on board real artists and tastemakers who'll keep you updated with the latest songs you have to hear.

Want to know what Bruno Mars is listening to right now, for instance? That's only a click away. Follow him you'll get an update as soon as his next album is out, too. Connecting with your favourite artists has never been this easy.

Whilst you're following lots of interesting new people, you'll also want to check out the Discover tab.

Here, we'll be your new best friend and offer handpicked recommendations that we think you'll love. We'll give you a full explanation of why we've picked each song too - like any best friend should.

You'll get concerts reviews, new people to follow, recent album releases and plenty more - all on the same page. That's more time spent listening to music that's right for you - and less time head-scratching.

Fancy something we've picked out? Add it to your Collection and it'll be waiting to be listened to whenever you feel like checking it out.

But wait, there's more! Last up is the Audio Preview feature.

With all this great new music you'll be discovering, you might not want to interrupt the song you're currently listening to. After all, why should the music ever have to stop?

Simply hover your mouse over a song that you fancy and you'll get a short snippet to listen to.Then save the song for later, play it in full or go right back to what you were listening. It's up to you.

The upcoming changes will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks. The first installment of these features will come very soon. So if you're keen to try out these for yourselves just hang on in there. A great new music discovery experience is on the way.

For any new updates as they come in, please subscribe to this thread:

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 19.58.04.png

445 Comments
Community Legend

@LGB wrote:

Hi!

I like the new feature for discovering music, but my feature for "news" is now gone.... Help?

Thanks 🙂

LGB

The Discovery Tab is the replaced for the What's New Tab, so once you get discovery rolled out to you, it will take the place of What's New. 

I have made a topic for feedback on the new discovery tab over on the Ideas Exchange here if you have anything you would like to add! 

Peter

Roadie

Replacing the What's New tab is probably the worst move they've made since I've starting using it.  I've always thought that area was lacking too - there's only a handful of albums that show up in What's New.

Hate to bring them up, but Rdio does New Releases perfectly.

Music Fan

Hi,

I like the new notification feature but whenever spotify adds two or more album of an Artist it says something like '<album_name> and 3 other albums by <artist_name> is now available on Spotify'. But there is NO way to see what are these 'other albums'. 

Is there a way to see the name of these albums ? Or should I open an Enhanment request for Spotify ?

Community Legend

@musicenthu wrote:

Hi,

I like the new notification feature but whenever spotify adds two or more album of an Artist it says something like '<album_name> and 3 other albums by <artist_name> is now available on Spotify'. But there is NO way to see what are these 'other albums'. 

Is there a way to see the name of these albums ? Or should I open an Enhanment request for Spotify ?

Not that I am aware of currently, however if it is new content you would assume they would be the top albums when you view the artist page. Sounds like a good idea to be able to see that information though! 

Peter

Music Fan

I think albums are sorted by year on Artist's page. But if it's an old album it won't show up at the top.

Community Legend

That is true! If you want to suggest this as a future feature, best place to do that is over on the Ideas Exchange where it can collect feedback and reviews. 

Peter

What happened to the New Releases that used to show up in the inter face... That was a great way to discover new music!!!! Please bring it back! I miss it!

Community Legend

Add your vote here.

Roadie

Just an update, I bet you guys have heard about Google Music's new All Access service.... Well, I subscribed to it and pay only 7.99 a month for the exact same thing as spotify or maybe a little better. ALSO Google offers music that spotify does NOT have, like Taylor Swifts new RED album... Cody Simpsons new single Pretty Brown Eyes, and finally Rihanna's single Stay. I hope Spotify catches up with the streaming music game because Google seems to have the right view on things now... I'm still sticking with Spotify for now until something changes. 

-Chase

Community Legend

Taylor Swift Red is now in the Spotify catalogue with limited availability depending on country :):

Taylor Swift – Red

Peter

Roadie

The only feature I actually care about is Collections. When is that launching? It has been 6 months since you announced it. 

When can I start throwing rotten tomatoes? 

Community Legend

@jyfjhgkjhl wrote:

The only feature I actually care about is Collections. When is that launching? It has been 6 months since you announced it. 

When can I start throwing rotten tomatoes? 

We are all still patiently waiting on that one! 

Peter

Spotify Legend

Soon, my friend. 

Roadie

ATT

Do not add album ratings (via pitchfork) to the default interface. I saw something of like on the preview a while back. Do I really need to explain why that would be a bad idea?

Community Legend

The pitchfork thing you see is an spotify apps integration with the discovery tab. Other developers can apply for integration at http://developer.spotify.com

Roadie

So the rating will only be shown if you have the app installed?

Loved the new discover tab....but where did it go?

I recently had to uninstall Spotify due to some stability issues and downloaded the installer from the website to reinstall.  After the re-install, my Discover tab is gone 😞 

I really want to get this feature back, please help!

Spotify Legend

@browndlb We're aware that might be happening for some folks but it should be fixed soon!

Regular

Where are Collections?  That is the most important improvement announced MONTHS ago.  

user-removed
Not applicable

I found out that if I "UNINSTALL" and "REINSTALL" Spotify that the "Whats New" Section comes back and stays for a week or so.  When it turns to "DISCOVER", I simply uninstall and reinstall it and I have "Whats New" back ... 

A little time consuming but well worth it ... or else I never ever would have found "Daft Punk" .... 

Labels