Music for everyone. Now free on your mobile.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Music for everyone

You can now get Spotify on your mobile or tablet, absolutely free. Find the right music and shuffle play it on any iOS or Android device. Available to all today – Spotify’s new free mobile experience lets you shuffle play:

• Your music: Listen to all the playlists you’ve created and playlists from the people you follow. Spotify lets you discover new music, save, shuffle and share.
  • Your favourite artists: Want to listen to a certain artist? Just hit shuffle play, sit back and listen to their entire catalogue. Don’t settle for something similar. Don’t settle for just one track from the artist you want to hear every 20 minutes.
  • Discover great new playlists: Going for a jog or to the gym? We’ve got the playlist to help you go the extra mile. We know you just want the perfect music for a specific moment in time – and we’ve got you covered. There’s something for every mood, genre or moment.

Sound good? Get Spotify on your mobile.

Source: news.spotify.com

49 Comments
Community Legend
Think this is one of the best, if not the best announcement ever!

Somewhat dissappointed that WP8 users have been ignored though...

Community Legend

Be sure to add your kudos to this ideas topic if you are a Windows Phone user. Unfortunately, its not the first time - Windows Phone has never been a "mainstream" app.

Casual Listener

Quick question on the new free mobile app service that Spotify announced: I currently play curated playlists like Workout or Running playlists that is offered under the Browse tab of the app. With this announcement, as a free user would I be able to access those playlists in the mobile app? What are the restrictions offered with the announcement as in with ads or only supports random mode etc?

Community Legend

@prafulgupta wrote:

Quick question on the new free mobile app service that Spotify announced: I currently play curated playlists like Workout or Running playlists that is offered under the Browse tab of the app. With this announcement, as a free user would I be able to access those playlists in the mobile app? What are the restrictions offered with the announcement as in with ads or only supports random mode etc?

On the mobile application (iOS and android only), with a free account you can listen to any playlist or artist you like, but in shuffle mode only (at normal sound quality) and with advertising. 

Casual Listener

Thanks Peter. What are the advantages of signing up for a premium service vs the new free mobile service now? ad-free streaming being one and no shuffle mode restriction being another one and higher bitrate music being the third one. Any others?

On the browser, does the free user listen to high quality bitrate or normal quality bit rate music today? Any difference for premium subscribers on the browser?

Community Legend

Thanks Peter. What are the advantages of signing up for a premium service vs the new free mobile service now? ad-free streaming being one and no shuffle mode restriction being another one and higher bitrate music being the third one. Any others?

Offline playlists are another big premium only feature, as well as Spotify Connect. 

On the browser, does the free user listen to high quality bitrate or normal quality bit rate music today? Any difference for premium subscribers on the browser?

If you mean the web player on play.spotify.com all music (including premium) is streamed at the normal quality as the web player does not yet support high quality streaming for premium customers. 

Regular

Ok. I do like it becoming free on the mobile plattform. But i dont really like that we are forced to shuffel our playlists. I listen to classical music and soundtracks quite often, and that means I actually wants to listen in the order that comes with that album. A symfony isnt ment to be shuffled. I mean the first movement is called the first movment because its ment to be listened to first. And the same way is is with soundtracks. It kinda follows a special order that works best. So maybe you could make a lil thing on the computer that we could tell the free player in the mobilephone that this album shall not be played shuffle. 

This rules only workd for those who dont listen to classical music or soundtracks. Maybe you make this change or make a service that is more targeted for classical listeners.

Community Legend

@neloforster wrote:

Maybe I'm being blind, but I can't seem to find any information on whether Unlimited subscribers will see any benefits over Free users under this new model? Or is the only way to get a shuffle-free mobile experience through a Premium subscription?

Thanks

The only thing unlimited might do is remove the adverts, if you want the full experience on a mobile phone you still need a premium subscription. 

Weird... It sure isn't for everyone or free on my mobile phone or my girlfiend's phone.     Correct the message to be accurate or release on Windows Phone.  We'll be continuing to competing services in the meanwhile.

Casual Listener

NOT everyone, NOT on your mobile if you use Windows 'phone

Casual Listener

Will this change to free mobile usage apply to Sonus users? 

I think it's ridiculous there isn't a Win Phone 8 app. At least I have XBox music, I'll just forego using Spotify in the future.
Community Legend

@mrnmnew wrote:

Will this change to free mobile usage apply to Sonus users? 

Sonos, as well as all other partner systems (such as Samsung Smart TVs etc) and Spotify Connect all still require a premium subscription.

Casual Listener
Hey tere
I have spotify premium and I use an iPad , but since today, it is free for tablets. Does it mean I can cancel my premium subscription?
Is there any difference ?
Can I listen to my playlists offline?
Thanks
Casual Listener
Very well said. Totally agree

Thanks for allowing me on.  The title to your posting is not factual.  Not everyone has a  an iphone device or an android device  so it n ot free for everyone.  I use  a windows phone 8 device and have for the past many years since it came out. Before that I used a windowsmobile converged device.  My request is for spotify to hurry up and get windows phone on the same level playing field with android and iphone PLEASE!

Community Legend

@Xycoon - No you need premium for offline playlists. The graphic below summarises the differences:

BbPNyUzCMAAIWIx.png

@jfa1 - Be sure to add your kudos the the ideas topic requesting this be made available on Windows Phone 8.

Casual Listener

hmmm, room for improvement but a great start nevertheless! 

thanks 😉

Community Legend

Just got clarification, unlimited accounts will have advertising on tablets too. 

Labels