Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

6.png

Music Monday

#MusicMonday Review - August 2022

osornios

#MusicMonday is the hashtag I've been using for quite a while to share music recommendations from up-and-coming artists. Always fresh, and always different, trying to look for trends before they become one. You can check July's review for more music.

It's the end of Summer, and we have a Punk special for you all. Multiple genres featuring the punky attitude that defines it. Let's have a listen, with a word from the artists themselves. 🎧

Pet Friendly – Cul

PetFriendly.jpgNo me se la razón

que tu corazón quebró

y tal vez es mejor

pues contigo yo no soy.

Tal vez esto acabó

aunque nunca empezó

y no se qué decir.

Este corazón

nunca tiene la razón

que más quieres de mí

baby, esto no ocurrió.

Let's start off in León, Guanajuato, Mexico with a Pop Punk track made for stuck up preppy girls with a touch of heartbreak:

"It came out from our own personal experiences as individuals. we wanted an album that talked about being unapologetically yourself, and this song is the perfect opener to set that tone as it talks about starting a process of finding, defining and redefining one's personal individuality."

spotify:track:7IDuGntevbL1blUypjVwl3:small

Subcult – Bubblegum Hair

Subcult.jpg

You've got that bubblegum hair

I wanna get to know you better

No, you're not that healthy for me

but I can see myself falling for you.

We now travel to the other side of the world, in Melbourne, Australia, for a catchy Emo Punk track that urges us to stay tonight, if that's alright:

"The song is about wanting to spend the night with someone you just met."

spotify:track:0F7pCd4mnb7nVzAVlglTDI:small 

Fime – White Collar Gold

Fime.jpg

I will be with you like a chain around your neck
Hold on closely, hold on tight to watch the threads come off the hem
I am patience, I am silence, I am covered in the end
Pull me in to know the difference between now and then

Don't be fooled by the Country infused mellow start. This Los Angeles, CA band brings us a guitar powered, full fledged Garage Rock track with attitude:

"I guess the thought behind it was trying to be someone’s friend and supportive even though they might be in a difficult relationship. So maybe thematically it’s a song about support even though you may not believe in the outcome."

spotify:track:4AJ2mdxen6IZioVDEdyA1P:small  

BipolArte – La Tóxica

BipolArte.jpg

Nos tiene hasta la mother,
es todo menos madre,
si le pides que se calme
se convierte en feminazi.

Vive una mentira de
imaginarias enemigas,
es súper negativa
y no tiene autoestima.

Traumada y herida,
con bendición incluida.

We stay in L.A. for a creative Rap about living the lie of love and acceptance through our ever changing social media presence, and hollow values:

"Healthy relationships are a topic that is finally being addressed in human history. People never questioned the quality of love relationships, dating, marriage, etc. They are now defined as either healthy and toxic but not many people know the difference. This song definitely helps define the difference between them."

spotify:track:3BNLyumN6BSbdFMSALnRRj:small 

Breakup Haircut – I'd Say Yes

BreakupHaircut.jpg

I only exist to help you out
Did you need something or can I show myself out?
I only exist to help you out

You pick me up just to let me down

If you tell me that you're just waiting for someone to do better
I'd say yes, I'd say yes, I'd say yes
Like yes, I know I don't mean to be mean
But it's more like if I say something I'm pretty sure you'll leave
And I'd rather be stuck with you than stuck with me

This month's selection ends with a sometimes-pop-sometimes-punk London, England based band, with a song about being there for someone that may not be worth it, after all. Band member Ishani explains:

"I wrote the lyrics and the chords after feeling particularly resentful about a friend taking advantage of my constant willingness to be available to them. It wasn’t really specific, I’m a very slowly recovering people pleaser."

spotify:track:1fXh2Sb3aCFNNhnybpUxNy:small 

Listen to them and much more on the complete Playlist

spotify:user:osornios:playlist:2IYRLjcwf2X9vC0QrI0b0P

See you next month!

5 Comments