Spotify Free Changes: 5 Play Limit

Rorey
Spotify Legend

We’ve got some news for all you Spotify Free users. From today, for those of you who’ve been free users for more than 6 months, you can play your favorite songs as many times as you like, for up to ten hours a month.

No more 5 play-per-song limit for all markets except France. Just unparalleled access to every one of Spotify’s 16 million songs at any time, and all for free.

Of course, for new users who’ve been using Spotify for less than 6 months, this change won’t affect you. You can already listen to whatever music you want, for as long as you like.

For our more seasoned users, you’ll still get 10 hours of free music every single month. Any tracks that you’d lost access to will once again be available for your listening pleasure.

If you're in France, we understand this may feel a bit unfair. Our agreements with the labels differ from market to market. We’re working hard to bring these improvements to the entire service, so watch this space.

We’re proud to have made the best music service on the planet even better. As always, thanks for listening.

[Update - 19.3.2013]

We’ve got some mighty fine news for all Spotify Free users in the U.K. From today, there’s no more 5 play-per-song limit. You can listen to your favourite songs as many times as you like.

That’s right, no more greyed-out songs. The tracks that you couldn’t listen to before will once again be available for your listening pleasure.

Of course, if you’ve been using Spotify for less than 6 months, this change won’t affect you. You can already listen to whatever you want, as often as you like.

[Update - 4.6.2013] 

We’ve got some mighty fine news for all Spotify Free users. From today, there’s no more 5 play-per-song limit even for folks using Spotify in France. You can listen to your favourite songs as many times as you like. Enjoy!

141 Comments
oxytec

odd

never had the limit of 5 plays

just had the adds every song or 2-3

now i cant play anything any more

because somehow i lost 10 hours ( really only 10 hours a month? ) in about 2hours and 30mins of playtime .....

i didn't mind the annoying adds

but with this new thing and the really annoyong ways to pay for a subscription ( all of wich cost me about 15 to 25% more each month than you advertise )

i think i'l be looking for something else

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community oxytec! :)

Spotify free accounts which have been registered for 6 months or more are subject to extra restrictions:
- Maximum streaming time of 10 hours per month (allocated as a maximum of 2.5 hours per week, meaning you never need to wait more than 7 days to listen again!).
- In France, a maximum track play count of 5 plays.

You can read more about free account restrictions in your country here. You can see how much time you have remaining when you have less than 60 minutes of playtime left in the top right of the desktop client.
These restrictions only apply to free subscribers, so an upgrade to Spotify unlimited or premium will remove these. Unfortuantely, free account restrictions are enforced by the record labels, Spotify would love to offer free unlimited streaming to everyone if they where allowed!

Peter

yajtyler
Roadie

Been a premium user on and off since then when I have the money.(:

heelapop
Casual Listener
hey how r ya this may sound weird sorry cuz ya don't know me
iWheeler5
Casual Listener

Does the 10 hours reset every 1st of a month as mine ran out just now and im mildy peeved

Peter__
Community Legend

iWheeler5 wrote:

Does the 10 hours reset every 1st of a month as mine ran out just now and im mildy peeved

Hey! Welcome to the community :)

Spotify free accounts which have been registered for 6 months or more are subject to extra restrictions:
- Maximum streaming time of 10 hours per month (allocated as a maximum of 2.5 hours per week, meaning you never need to wait more than 7 days to listen again! It renews on whatever day your account was created).
- In France, a maximum track play count of 5 plays.

You can read more about free account restrictions in your country here. You can see how much time you have remaining when you have less than 60 minutes of playtime left in the top right of the desktop client.
These restrictions only apply to free subscribers, so an upgrade to Spotify unlimited or premium will remove these.

Peter

iWheeler5
Casual Listener

Gee thanks for responding so quickly, now that is the type of service every forum needs :D thank you for the information good day

madie

Thank god I'm moving back to the US in 2 weeks, never thought I'd say that. 

kieraa4

why are we limited to how much music we can play ? 

music is my life i can get my anger and stress sorted through music and thats why i got spotify now you have ruined it !!!

Peter__
Community Legend

kieraa4 wrote:

why are we limited to how much music we can play ? 

music is my life i can get my anger and stress sorted through music and thats why i got spotify now you have ruined it !!!

Unfortunately, those restrictions have been in place for a while now, according to Spotify they are required to keep the free subscription service free in the long run, which I guess is true since music is not free! 

Without sounding like a sales pitch (I don't work for Spotify), an unlimited or premium subscription will remove those restrictions. 

Peter

Rorey
Spotify Legend

We’ve got some mighty fine news for all Spotify Free users. From today, there’s no more 5 play-per-song limit. You can listen to your favourite songs as many times as you like. Check out the blog post here.

That’s right, no more greyed-out songs. The tracks that you couldn’t listen to before will once again be available for your listening pleasure.

Give it a try.

Of course, if you’ve been using Spotify for less than 6 months, this change won’t affect you. You can already listen to whatever you want, as often as you like.

Enjoy the music!

Peter__
Community Legend

Finally! Top work guys! :) 

Peter

Proskjim

I'm seriously mad over the restricition. Why did you even do it in the first place, especially for seasoned user just like myself that had to wait more than a year for an invite. Still 10 hours of music is better than the 5 play per song restriction. Cut us veterans som slack

Rich2013
Regular

ok whats the point of 'free spotify' when u can't listen to you favorite music when u have either a 5 play restiction  or a 10 hour restriction

then the idea of having free spotify is wrong and false advertising :-| 

Peter__
Community Legend

Rich2013 wrote:

ok whats the point of 'free spotify' when u can't listen to you favorite music when u have either a 5 play restiction  or a 10 hour restriction

then the idea of having free spotify is wrong and false advertising :-| 

I'm not sure I follow you on the false advertising here. Spotify free is exactly that free, those restrictions are unfortunately needed for the service to remain free in the long term. The 5 play restriction no longer applies anywhere either ;) 

Peter

Antisane
Gig Goer

I would have to fully agree with you there, a company shouldn't say something that isn't entirely true, sadly they get away with it,cause of some clause or other.
And i thought the ads helped pay for the free service.   This post is for Rich2013, sorry I forgot to use quote.  XD

Rich2013
Regular

whats with the 10 hour use on the spotify when they oblished the 5 per play and when you got loads of playlists for party's ect it not very helpful.

pinner12
Casual Listener

how can i stop the commercial from playing it never did that before. and do you have a phone to call you guys 3862352785

Peter__
Community Legend

pinner12 wrote:

how can i stop the commercial from playing it never did that before. and do you have a phone to call you guys 

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Do you have a premium or unlimited subscription? 

Peter

gwells18

Hi, sorry if i've missed this but what are the spotify restrictions in France?  My music now won't play, is it because I've listened for too long?  Where do we check our limit as it's playing to ensure we don't we don't run out? when will it reset? Thanks

Labels