Spotify beta 1.0.13 for Linux released

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

We skipped the 1.0.12 release for Linux, but 1.0.13 is now out. It contains the following Linux-specific fixes (in addition to all the other platform-neutral changes in 1.0.12 and 1.0.13):

• Support for DBus metadata queries (more information below)
  • Add missing key handling commands for shuffle/repeat (ctrl+s and ctrl+r, respectively)
  • Fix zoom key commands (ctrl++ and ctrl+= both zoom in, ctrl+- zooms out, ctrl+0 now resets)
  • Fix "Untitled window" shown in main window when Spotify first launched
  • Update to CEF 3.2357.1287 (see below for more information)

With DBus, we now support asking Spotify for the currently playing track and its associated metadata. However, there are some slight differences between the 0.9.x client and the 1.x client, which are as follows:

• The application identifier is com.spotify.music, not com.spotify.qt
  • The album artist field (xesam:albumArtist) is now respected and filled in if available
  • The xesam:url property is now a proper URL (it was previously a Spotify URI)
  • We no longer support the xesam:contentCreated field, sorry!
  • The client does not yet send the PropertiesChanged signal to alert other applications that playback state has changed. This should be fixed in the next version.

Regarding the CEF update (which is actually common to all platforms), this should fix GPU acceleration settings on some machines. If you're having trouble with GPU rendering, check out the comments in the 1.0.11 thread for some suggestions for possible solutions. Again, GPU acceleration settings are *very* machine/driver independent on Linux, so you might hunt around a bit for the right combination of Chromium flags. We're working to improve this.

Edit: We have just released a patch update, 1.0.13.112. This resolves the missing "Add to queue" option.

64 Comments
momaku
Regular
Many thanks.
blubbo
Roadie
  • Support for DBus metadata queries

Awwww yeah! :D

Thanks to all involved in the continous improvement of the Linux client!

Curro
Regular

Hi! Thanks for this new update!

I still have no metadata for each song, DBus support is complete?

I used this script to get artist and title info:

import dbus
from sys import exit
bus = dbus.SessionBus()
try:
player = bus.get_object('com.spotify.qt', '/')
except:
exit()
iface = dbus.Interface(player, 'org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer2')
info = iface.GetMetadata()
pbstatus = player.Get('org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer2', 'PlaybackStatus')
status = ""
if pbstatus == "Paused":
status = " [Paused]"
print str(info['xesam:artist'][0].encode('utf8')) + " - " + str(info['xesam:title'].encode('utf8')) + status

I've changed com.spotify.qt to org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify but it didn't work.

Thanks!

adam9023
Casual Listener

What happened to song queueing? I can't find "add to queue" option (I'm pretty sure it was present in the previous beta)

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@Curro wrote:

Hi! Thanks for this new update!

I still have no metadata for each song, DBus support is complete?

I used this script to get artist and title info:

import dbus
from sys import exit
bus = dbus.SessionBus()
try:
player = bus.get_object('com.spotify.qt', '/')
except:
exit()
iface = dbus.Interface(player, 'org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer2')
info = iface.GetMetadata()
pbstatus = player.Get('org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer2', 'PlaybackStatus')
status = ""
if pbstatus == "Paused":
status = " [Paused]"
print str(info['xesam:artist'][0].encode('utf8')) + " - " + str(info['xesam:title'].encode('utf8')) + status

I've changed com.spotify.qt to org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify but it didn't work.

Thanks!

Try com.spotify.music; that's the new identifier for our application. However, I can verify that the sp script still works, and it uses org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify as the dbus destination.

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

@adam9023 wrote:

What happened to song queueing? I can't find "add to queue" option (I'm pretty sure it was present in the previous beta)

This appears to be a regression in the client, we will try to release a hotfix soon with a patch. In the meantime, you can drag and drop tracks to the queue (that is, you drop them on top of the queue icon in the lower right-hand corner in the app).

EvanA
Regular

It doesn't appear that Spotify is sending the PropertiesChanged signal in dbus when needed.  This breaks applications that rely on this signal to pull new track information. 

zappor
Regular

Hi,

could you test the DBus support with https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/55/media-player-indicator/ also?

Would be great, shouldn't be hard to make it work well!

EvanA
Regular
That requires that Spotify sends the aforementioned PropertiesChanged signal that media player indicator is looking for. All of the track data is there, but the app never notifies that it's available for reading.
Nickbg321
Casual Listener
DBus does not seem to work on Cinnamon's sound app, looks like it's not retrieving any data. Could be the same issue as with Gnome's media player indicator.
nikreiman
Spotify Legend
Hmm, this does sound like the same issue. I will look into sending the PropertiesChanged signal, this shouldn't be too hard to add.
nikreiman
Spotify Legend
FYI we released 1.0.13.112 today which fixes this issue.
acemoo

I'm missing the add to queue option when right clicking a song.

Did this get removed intentionally?

Nickbg321
Casual Listener

"Add to Queue" button is back, still no info on the currently playing song though.

sound.png

nikreiman
Spotify Legend

No, it is back in version 1.0.13.112, which was released very recently this morning. It might take a bit of time for the update to propogate out.

nikreiman
Spotify Legend
This is because that app probably relies on Spotify sending the DBus PropertiesChanged signal, which it does not yet do. That will be fixed in the next version.
sleeksorrow
Roadie

@nikreiman wrote:
This is because that app probably relies on Spotify sending the DBus PropertiesChanged signal, which it does not yet do. That will be fixed in the next version.

Oh? I thought with "released 1.0.13.112 today which fixes this issue", you would refer to your post just before where you talked about the PropertiesChanged signal....

Anyway: having "Add to queue" back without dragging and dropping is a nice one, too. Thanks!

pmzqla
Casual Listener

Would it be possible to also have a working "PlaybackStatus" property (MPRIS)? It's quite needed in my opinion.

belegdol
Music Fan

Issue with linking against old libcurl is now gone, thank you! Similar issue with openssl still persists:

$ ./spotify 
./spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Making links to 1.0.1 causes the following:

$ ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.1k libssl.so.1.0.0
$ ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.1k libcrypto.so.1.0.0
$ ./spotify 
./spotify: /lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by ./spotify)
./spotify: /home/julas/cvs/rpmfusion/nonfree/lpf-spotify-client/devel/spotify-make-8597389ba7bf755418e8746b9c20af51e4be2bc0/usr/share/spotify/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by ./spotify)
./spotify: /home/julas/cvs/rpmfusion/nonfree/lpf-spotify-client/devel/spotify-make-8597389ba7bf755418e8746b9c20af51e4be2bc0/usr/share/spotify/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by ./spotify)
Isolator70

Hi nikreiman,

just added the "...testing..." repository on my Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32bit, but only version

is offered for update in my Update Manager ("Aktualisierungsverwaltung"), no ....112 version.

Bildschirmfoto vom 2015-09-08 15:59:06.png

So I wonder how to get the latest version.

Thanks for clarification,

Isolator

Labels