Spotify paints it black with new look

Community Manager
Community Manager

Spotify paints it black with new look

New Spotify Look

Today we’re launching the best-looking Spotify ever. Introducing a new darker theme, refreshed typography and rounded iconography, playing your favourite music has never looked so good.

We’re not only improving our looks though. We know how much you love playlists, but that you’ve been looking for more ways of managing your music. So today we’re introducing Your Music: helping you save, organise and browse your favourite music the way you want to. All in one place, and across all platforms.

Building your personal music collection just got a lot easier.

• Content is king. Our new design makes accessing your favourite music smoother than ever before. The new dark theme and refined interface lets the content come forward and ‘pop’, just like in a cinema when you dim the lights.
  • It’s Your Music collection. Save albums and browse their beautiful cover art, gather your favourite artists and create playlists for every mood and moment. Found a song or album that you like? Just hit save to add it to your collection. It’s that simple.
  • We know you’ll love it. We’ve listened to all your great feedback to ensure that everything looks and feels just right. You told us you preferred a darker interface – so here it is.

We’re also improving our Browse feature, delivering even more relevant and localised content. So regardless of whether you’re looking for something to fall asleep to, or the perfect playlist to get you geared up for your big night out, finding the right music for every moment is easier than ever.

Our new design, Your Music and the updated Browse will roll out gradually to our iPhone, desktop and web users from today, and will soon be available across all platforms.

Welcome to the dark side.

865 Comments
otte4prez
Regular

Loving the new design! I have eyed Rdio for so long because of their Collections feature but I never made the switch because so many of my friends use Spotify and I love being able to share music with them. Glad to see that has now been fixed (well, the update hasn't made its way to me yet, but you know ;) )...!

slowmove

How do I get the collection functionality?

otte4prez
Regular

@slowmove wrote:

How do I get the collection functionality?

"Our new design, Your Music and the updated Browse will roll out gradually to our iPhone, desktop and web users from today, and will soon be available across all platforms."

Here's hoping it's not gonna take too long :)

chrisaverage

I kinda like the new colors but have one complaint. I know it's suppose to be touch friendly and all but could we please have an option for PC client to make fonts and margins smaller? I have a 27" monitor and everything is still frickin huge! I have to scroll literally everywhere. Like - in every single panel, even the main navigation panel!

It used to fit everything nicely with a room to spare if I wanted to shrink the window (I usually do). Now I have to keep it fullscreen just not to scroll too much (though still have to).

I know you won't reverse to the old sizes by default, but could there at least be an option for it?

Joe
Community Legend

@chrisaverage I'm with you on this one. There is a new idea here although I don't think that just "text size" is enough. Basically we need a zoom control which works the same way as in a web browser.

chrillemeter
Casual Listener

Will you update Spotify for WP8 to?

ranspa
Casual Listener

Now this is a good redesign! It looks beautiful!

Can't wait until it rolls to my OS X client (gradual rollouts can be a pain)

AnotherWaytoD
Composer

F**k yeah! I waited 486 days for those new features. I can't wait to use them. 

Regnareb
Music Fan

The new design looks awful, it looks like it has been made by an amateur :\

Some buttons are cropped by another part of the interface, it's much less ergonomic/readable than the previous one, the volume was not good to adjust in the previous design but now it is even worse! And more over, the bugs from the previous version are not even fixed! (If you let your page open for several minute while paused, you have to refresh to be able to listen anything, and the player stop sporadically)

I hate to criticize with only negative things, but I do not see any improvements in this new version, only downsides...

(I only tested the web version)

PS: After trying the desktop version, we got the same problems... very bad readability, awful design when the previous one waas brilliant.

Prestige
Roadie

Good looking! Although I don't have the new build/version on my Mac yet. When will you be rolling it out? Also, the repeat 1 button doesn't work on the iPhone.

I have the new design on my iPhone, but not "Your Music". Will you roll that out separately? 

Regnareb
Music Fan

I tested a little bit more and while the search is way better now (not regarding readability though), but the performances are awful. You have to wait several seconds after clicking on search and your result too....

It would be fantastic to have the phone design when you shring your window on the desktop too. Or at least only the right part of the page with only the player.

rjhill86
Music Fan

Have you done away with viewing your whole Library? I loved this feature as it's the most efficient to see what music you have and to avoid duplicates in multiple playlists :(

Please let me know, thanks.

emelie-jakob
Casual Listener

I'm having the same problem here. I have been using Rdio for a couple of months because it's ability to save albums to a personal collection

I saw Spotify's release video where they showed  a similar feature called "Your Music" and I was so happy and instantly re-subscribed to Spotify premiumBut when I log on to my iPhone there is no such thing.... 

Is there a way to get the Your Music feature now?

Thanks.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hi, I love the new design but I can't understand a couple of things:

Why on my spotify I still see "Playlists" instead of "Your Music" ?? Playlists is a confusing mess right now, and if I click the Save Button on an Album it actually creates another playlists??

On Web and on iOS I can't find a way to see the current play queue... 

Help!

Thanks

Swanny
Community Legend

@emelie-jakob wrote:

But when I log on to my phone there is no such thing.... Not even in the web playerI'm so disappointed :( Why show of features that doesn't even exist?

Because it's a gradual roll out. Try reading the thread before complaining. We're all in the same boat, waiting patiently.

emelie-jakob
Casual Listener

Okay I see.

But I just it's a little wierd because I have alredy got the app update.

But I guess i just have to wait for the roll out.

Thank you for the info!

Swanny
Community Legend

@emelie-jakob wrote:

But I just think it's wierd because I have alredy got the app update.

Yeah, they can push some features to the app (or enable it, if the code is already there) without actually having to push out an update through the App Store.

danielnikolic
Regular

Good work on the new design, but why using black as primary color? on smartphone it's terrible If you could go back to white but keep all the rest, it would be great (or let's be crazy, leaving the choice to the user on whether he/she wantqs it black or white)

skalka7
Regular

When you say "available across all platform" you mean Ubuntu/Linux too? We're stuck with version 0.9.4 since a very long time and guess what? Many of us pay for premium subscription just like windows and osx users. So please don't let us out from this big enhancement.

Thanks.

dpx
Casual Listener

Unfortunately the new interface is way too dark on my system. It's almost unreadable, thus unusable. Please improve it, Spotify! Maybe increase the contrast? I'm using play.spotify.com.

Labels