Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music_blogs-red.png

Spotify's "This is" playlists

Ivan

I recently stumbled upon the This is playlists on Spotify while being on my eternal search for new music and artists to add to my collection. I use different ways of finding new music because there’s always more, you just haven’t found it out yet. This kind of playlist turned out to have a lot to offer me.     

Search results on Android deviceSearch results on Android device

My first encounter was with the This is playlist dedicated to Norwegian duo Bel Canto. I discovered the band in the summer of 2006 while looking up the tag “dream pop” on AllMusic in search of bands similar to my favorite by the time Hooverphonic. After trying them out they’ve been a beloved band for me since then. It's enough to simply type an artist's name in the app search and the associated This is playlist comes up with the top results.   

Search results on desktopSearch results on desktop

The essential tracks, all in one playlist. You’ll see this description on each of the This is playlists. Going through the essential tracks of an artist isn’t only giving historical insight over their work, but also outlines the trajectory of their genre development. We can probably say this is a focused sample of their discography, giving us an overview of the creative path the artist walked on.   

thisis.JPG

It’s also a great way to get acquainted with an artist you want to check out for the first time. Once you've had your fill listening to your already favorite artists you start looking for new ones and browse their albums, I know the feeling. 

Of course, the This is also offers a great solution for when you’re hosting a home party for your friends or relatives.  

I found myself personally impressed by the feature and wanted to share my thoughts with all of you. Mentioning just a few words about how useful it could be in my everyday life, I definitely recommend trying it. So, let me know! Which are your favorite This is playlists? What do you like the most about this Spotify feature?

spotify:track:7yU63Mwq0o4cTUcWfk8kUu:small 

10 Comments