Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

music-blog-03.jpg

Spotify

Stream On: Spotify announces new HiFi sound quality

MattSuda

Speaker shootout

(Photo Source: Jan Hammershaug)

During Spotify's Stream On event it was announced that starting later this year, Premium subscribers will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to music the way artists intended, in CD-quality, lossless audio via their devices and Spotify Connect-enabled speakers. High fidelity sound will offer more depth and clarity while you are enjoying your favorite songs.

Lossless quality has been one of the most requested features here in the Spotify Community, and now it is becoming a reality.

I think I speak for everyone with high fidelity music equipment that this update coming to Spotify is a huge deal. We have been wanting this quality for some time and it's a joy to hear that it's going to be happening. The music will sound closer to the original recording. I have a high fidelity sound system in my living room and for my computer and being able to hear more depth and clarity when listening to music will be greatly appreciated.

Spotify HiFi will start rolling out in select markets later this year. More details on the launch are coming soon, so stay tuned.

Check out this news article for more information:

Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi

122 Comments
JohSebBac

The sooner the better!

AdSR

While this is certainly great news for that small fraction of users that actually can hear the difference, there is the elephant in the room called "loudness war": Many albums available on Spotify suffer from bad mastering due to the practice of squashing the dynamic range (because labels wrongly believe that "louder sells better"). When I see "Remastered 2009" or "2015 remaster" in an album title it is almost guaranteed to be unpleasant to the ear and tiring. Many old releases suffer from this and in fact I started to collect old CDs released back in the 1980s because of this (though that is a mixed bag, depending on label).

So my question is: When are you going to work with labels to address this so that they either go to back the original masters or otherwise provide cleaner-sounding versions? Since you are now in the process of recalculating LUFS for your catalog, you might even have numerical data on the "dynamic quality" of the recordings.

D1N0

@AdSR and while they are at at maybe solve global warming and poverty as well 😛

jgp_267

**bleep** finally! Thank you! Now do high resolution.. 

MattSuda

Glad to hear everyone else is just as excited as I am! I'm sure looking forward to HiFi 🙂