The Tip-Off: Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird

Community Manager
Community Manager

Tiny Little Houses + Declan McKenna + Klondike = Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird

That extra sugar in your sweet morning tea. Cousin Tony’s Brand New Firebird are the perfect kick. Alternative, indie-folk inspired... something? I can’t fully sum them up, but I love that.

Their Spotify page is a little bit like the breakfast buffet at your favorite hotel. Now, I know that might sound strange, but hear me out! Forget about bitter filter coffee and toast for a second. This is like that sticky spread of chocolate croissants, blueberry muffins, and those twisted, iced pastries you can’t pronounce correctly. Scroll down their page a little more, and you hit the full, fried, rich but greedy seconds. And then? You’ve ended up with a stack of pancakes; there’s maple syrup, and all kinds of colourful toppings sprinkled over the plate. Ok, so breakfast is great, but the point is so are Cousin Tony’s Brand New Firebird. They’re the gift that keeps on giving.

Let’s hear some of this then shall we?

We’ll start with my favorite... "Head home". 

spotify:track:2FQIBtP4cf0e5Nu7BOsZPx:small

"Head Home" is one of their gentler deliveries. They ease you in with lullaby-like guitar picks, before driving up the pace with rumbling, warm vocals and the band’s tight rhythms.

Sounds great, but who makes up this Melbourne-based team you might be asking? I had to do a bit of an online search for this, and their Facebook music page states that - Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird consists of:

Band Members:

- Lachy Rose - Lead Vox

- Kieran Christopherson - Guitars, Vox

- Francesca Gonzales - Synth, Vox

- Nick Reid - Drums

- Leigh Bassman - Bass”

They appeared in my Discover Weekly recently, and i’m still super glad they did. This group of 5 are full of flavour, a whole lot of fun, and perfect for any weather.

Want to hear some more? Let’s try something different...

spotify:track:7N18BTU8gRw5HM8E9pbPjP:small

Listening to "Cool Parties" after "Head Home" should hopefully help you to understand what I meant about that breakfast buffet. Here you can feast on something totally different, mastered with the same skill and top musicianship by all members; including front man Lachlan Rose.

Just for a bit of fun, I asked some friends to help me sum their music up in a few words. Here’s what we got:

1: "Guitar-based art-pop-soul with a hint of 80’s?"

2: "If Caleb Followhill created lofi alt-country rock with synths and organs, it would sound like Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird"

3: "Alternative cease-the-moment music"

I tried to guess which track each person had checked out too, but that was a little tricky!

spotify:track:7eFOaDZ6S0XBOBsBFShA6S:small

Feet tapping yet? Nice. You keep on dancing, and we’ll see you for next week’s Tip-Off.

• Monthly Listeners in Spotify: 13,611
  • Hometown: Melbourne-based
  • Would fit best in a playlist called: The alt-folk-indie mixing pot
  • 3 Related Artists: Tiny Little Houses + Declan McKenna + Klondike 
Labels