The Tip-Off: Richard Dawson

Community Manager
Community Manager

tip off bunny.jpg

Acoustic Beefheart x Medieval Fascination + Freak Folk = Richard Dawson

Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises, sounds and sweet airs, that give delight, and hurt not. Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices,

that, if I then had waked after long sleep, will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming, the clouds methought would open, and show riches ready to drop upon me; that, when I waked,

I cried to dream again.

These are the words of Caliban in Act III, Scene II of Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’. The quote translates well to perfectly depict the effect of traditional English folk music. It also encapsulates a romanticised vision of old English folklore, of the work of Cecil Sharp, of Morris Dancers, and of Merrie Olde England’s heritage.

Richard Dawson is neither a traditionalist, nor trying to portray a previous envisioning of folk music’s glory days. Dawson, for the best part of a decade, has defied convention in a musical sense. Unlike Caliban, who is virtually forced into servitude by Prospero, he stands taller than his contemporaries, without rules, without strict conform to the nature of his art.

spotify:track:26Q1WhREftU2HYIVjtXI7J:small

The English county of Tyne and Wear is home to some of the country’s most scenic countryside spots. In the very heart of it (and of neighbouring County Durham), mythology seems prevalent to the outsider. A mythical place where trolls, monsters, and shape shifters are part of the antiquarian’s rich local tapestry; the old folk tale of the Lambton Worm alone is testament to this. This strange atmosphere is the breeding ground for Dawson’s unnatural compositions.

His latest album, Peasant, deals with an almost medieval perspective of characters. Each song a character in his concept, it’s a hard sell to anyone, but it still remains his most accessible and deepest work to date.

spotify:track:2YuUK2nIZ8m9Br28kSnIBn:small

His playing isn’t too distant from John Renbourn or Bert Jansch (of Pentangle fame), but Dawson also draws comparison to playing styles outside of the folk realm. Hints of Derek Bailey’s improvisation, Odetta’s bombastic blues, and Henry Makobi’s panache blend into his bellicose guitar style, which deepen his palette and make it harder to pinpoint or pigeonhole. From improvised jazz, to blues, to Kenyan folk… His wide influence is reflected entirely and not at all in his music.

I’m not trying to describe Dawson as the cambion of the 21st Century British Folk Revival, but he’s certainly not creating music that’s necessarily entirely human. If one man could summon Sycorax in modern England today, it’s this man.

spotify:track:5sKaPzGyNoIF9ksRonRg8k:small

• Monthly Listeners in Spotify: 26,800
  • Hometown: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
  • Would fit best in a playlist called: Irregular Dark Age Tales
  • 3 Related Artists: John Renbourn / Derek Bailey / Odetta

You can find Richard Dawson’s artist profile here.

5 Comments
elgranchobi
Roadie

I really dig Ogre's sound. It sounds modern but vintage at the same time. Proggy, but relaxing. It would make a great soundtrack to an existencial topic movie. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice thoughts on it, @elgranchobi

I'd also recommend Mount Eerie, if you're digging Richard's sound. It's the side project of Phil Elverum, who was in lo-fi psych-pop cassette folk balladeers The Microphones before this during the 1990's.

spotify:album:5p64XgvFREt1P6mC7Xl6XN:small

This is the latest album, which is a moving tribute to his late wife. A really poignant album, certainly in a similar vein to Dawson's style.

elgranchobi
Roadie

Listening to it right now in my office. Really personal music, I can fell the quiteness and the clearness of what the author was feeling at the moment he wrote it. Really digging it. Thanks

heartscore
Community Legend

@Jack Great choice for the tip-off; it happens very seldomly, that I hear something so fresh and unique. Dawson manages it to come up with original melodies and surprising key changes

Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, @elgranchobi! I'm glad you're enjoying it. If you begin to start exploring Phil Elverum's work deeper, I'd recommend The Glow, Pt. 2 by The Microphones. It's by far their magnum opus. 

Thanks, @heartscore! Yeah, he's got a really strange way of writing. It's forever unpredictable, but that's part of it's charm for me, I think.

Labels