Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

It appears from viewing the community trends recently, the number of people experiencing this error when they try and install Spotify on Windows, mainly on Windows 8, is increasing. I am not sure about the root cause of this issue, however it can normally be corrected by starting Windows in Safe mode and then installing Spotify. These instructions will guide you through that process with ease!

Windows
Windows 8

[Tutorial][Windows] How to Fix Error 17 (Installer)

Peter__

How to Fix Error 17 (Installer)

Written by: Peter

Last Updated: 05/08/2013

spotify error 17.png

Introduction

It appears from viewing the community trends recently, the number of people experiencing this error when they try and install Spotify on Windows, mainly on Windows 8, is increasing. I am not sure about the root cause of this issue, however it can normally be corrected by starting Windows in Safe mode and then installing Spotify. These instructions will guide you through that process with ease!

These steps might also help with other installation errors.

1. Download the Full Spotify Installer Package

In order to minimize the amount of time you need to spend in Safe Mode (which is a strange experience sometimes if you have a really low screen resolution without graphics card drivers), before going any further download the full Spotify installer package for Windows to somewhere easy to get to, desktop is my first choice normally. 

Download Link

2 (Optional). Print out these instructions or make them available on another device.

Since viewing these instructions when you are in Safe Mode might be more difficult than you anticipate, if you are not really sure what you are doing printing out or writing down these steps might be a good plan! If you have a tablet or another computer handy, pulling up this tutorial there might be a good idea.

3. Boot into Safe Mode

For some light reading, here is a description from Microsoft about what Windows Safe Mode is:

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or that might prevent Windows from starting correctly.

Interestingly, starting Windows in this way allows Spotify to be installed without the error 17 issue a lot of the time! 

There are two main methods to boot into Safe Mode, I will outline both here for convenience. 

For Windows Vista and Windows 7

An extract from Microsoft's Support Site, you can read the full article here

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button Picture of Start button, click the arrow next to the Shut Down button Picture of Shut Down button, and then click Restart.
Do one of the following:

2. If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press Enter. In this case we want Windows Safe Mode with Networking so select that option using the arrow keys.

Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

You should now be in Safe Mode (it will say "Safe Mode" somewhere on the screen, normally in the corner of the desktop). Don't be alarmed if it looks weird or broken, everything is fine! 

For Windows 8

Booting into safe mode in Windows 8 is a little bit more tricky than the older Windows, but still relatively easy.

An extract from Microsoft's Windows 8 Help, you can read the full article here.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Under PC settings, tap or click General.

3. Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

4. On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

5. Tap or click Startup Settings.

6. Tap or click Restart.

7. On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting you want. In this case we want Windows Safe Mode with Networking so select that option.

Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

You should now be in Safe Mode (it will say "Safe Mode" somewhere on the screen, normally in the corner of the desktop). Don't be alarmed if it looks weird or broken, everything is fine! 

Advanced Users

You can also tell your system to boot into Safe Mode via msconfig. Full details for that are here but you must remember to go back and undo those settings to stop your PC booting in Safe Mode in the future!

4. Run the Spotify Installer

Now the hard bit is over, locate and run the Spotify installer file you downloaded earlier! 

Hopefully it will install without error for you. 

Still having issues? Reboot your computer again but select "Safe Mode" so you don't get networking an try again. This means you won't be able to test Spotify in safe mode, since you won't have an internet connection but we have seen issues with certain WiFi drivers causing installer issues before. 

5. Restart your Computer

As long as you didn't use the Advanced Users option above, restart your computer again and it should boot back into normal Windows for you automatically. If not, retrace your steps and undo any changes you made. 

6. Enjoy your Music!

Its a little bit of inconvenience to do this, but hopefully you can now enjoy your music! 

If this tutorial helped you out, please add your kudos 🙂 

Disclaimer: I do not work for Spotify - Following these instructions is at your own risk.

51 Comments
EdoP78

Absolutly agree with thesigeng I'm not going to waste my time for this **bleep**! You do!

The funny think is that this happened today when I was going to pay for premium ahahah.

WilliamSilva

Eu consegui arrumar o meu Spotify sem Fazer Esse tutorial Longo e demorado ... Pois Bem vou compartilhar isso Com Vocês 

Clique com o botão direito do mause vá em Propriedades // Compatibilidade e marque a Opção Executar este Programa em Modo de Compatibilidade e tambem uma Opção Executar este Programa como administrador. E pronto 😄

Spotify.JPG

sniperslayer4md

Guys, you dont have to go through all of that, just right click on the spotify setup icon, then search for a problem, then u want to run the program with the recommended settings. It at least worked for me, try it!

trapperkeeper

thank you so much! this worked for me.  I did as folllows:

1. Right-click on Spotify Installer.exe > Troubelshoot compatibility > Try recommended settings > Start the program... > [then I followed the installation instructions]

zepelin

Seriously, Spotify. FIX THIS PROBLEM ASAP.