Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Staff announcements.jpg

Your Ideas At Work: Shuffle Improvements

meahtenoha

The Community Ideas Board isn’t just about requesting new features. It’s also about improving the features already in Spotify.

Take our shuffle algorithm for instance.

The Idea “Implement an actual shuffle function” by Community user @RoninTheOrigina  gathered over 850 votes.  Users were vocal in their comments about what they wanted (and didn’t want) when it came to shuffling playlists.

We then passed this knowledge on and our teams got to work.

The result: an improved shuffling algorithm that avoids playing a couple songs from an artist too close together.

shuffle algorithm.png

If you’re thinking, “that sounds kind of vague, what are these improvements” then fret no more.

Spotify’s @lukasP  has written an extensive blog post on how we gathered user feedback on Shuffle, analyzed their comments, took a hard look at our previous algorithm and found the best way to bring the improvements users wanted.

We’re aware this doesn’t fix all shuffling issues forever. Rest assured we are still working on this though.  You’ll also see the new algorithm in other clients other than desktop soon.

Now go hit shuffle on your favorite playlist and reap the benefits of your hard work clicking that Kudos button.

Enjoy!

111 Comments
dmholtzer

the shuffle is still terrible, it needs to realize that it's playing the same 100 songs when i have a few thousand. It should be able to recognize what it has already played in the playlist after a certain period of time and not play it unless you specifically pick that song. i dont want to hear the same songs everytime i drive to work

banjodog1966

How do I take Shuffle off??

Please

Hello: What system or device are you wanting to take shuffle off of? On the desktop app if you look to the lower right hand corner to the two symbols, one of which is two arrows criss crossed that is the shuffle icon, just click it until it returns to grey in color if it is green in color. Grey shuffle mode off, green color it is turned on.

On android if you are playing something from a playlist or an album page you need to be permium to turn shuffle off. When something is playing, load the Playing From screen by touching on the current playing song of the release material being play, lower bar. What will now load is a picture of the cover art of what is being played, look to the lower left for the two criss cross arrow symbols tap them until they turn back to grey, as long as you are premium users can turn shuffle off on android devices. Tablets 7" or larger can also play music without shuffle mode on free accounts.

WaxwingSlain

The shuffle feature is still not working.  Why don't I have the option to select one of my playlists and have ALL of the songs in that playlist play in a random order, instead of Spotify picking the same 50 songs to repeat over and over?

This is getting really frustrating.  A "shuffle" feature has been available on music players for decades.  Why is it so hard for Spotify?

At least be honest about what is really going on when a user selects "shuffle".

_daniel_

Sorry Jay,

but it seems you haven't read ANY of the above messages in this thread. Why should anyone bother to answer you?

Thx for trying to help anyway.