Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Staff announcements.jpg

Your Ideas At Work: Shuffle Improvements

meahtenoha

The Community Ideas Board isn’t just about requesting new features. It’s also about improving the features already in Spotify.

Take our shuffle algorithm for instance.

The Idea “Implement an actual shuffle function” by Community user @RoninTheOrigina  gathered over 850 votes.  Users were vocal in their comments about what they wanted (and didn’t want) when it came to shuffling playlists.

We then passed this knowledge on and our teams got to work.

The result: an improved shuffling algorithm that avoids playing a couple songs from an artist too close together.

shuffle algorithm.png

If you’re thinking, “that sounds kind of vague, what are these improvements” then fret no more.

Spotify’s @lukasP  has written an extensive blog post on how we gathered user feedback on Shuffle, analyzed their comments, took a hard look at our previous algorithm and found the best way to bring the improvements users wanted.

We’re aware this doesn’t fix all shuffling issues forever. Rest assured we are still working on this though.  You’ll also see the new algorithm in other clients other than desktop soon.

Now go hit shuffle on your favorite playlist and reap the benefits of your hard work clicking that Kudos button.

Enjoy!

111 Comments
SR_Penny
Just a shame that 'shuffle' doesn't work at all. Same problems as other users (such as above). Infuriating.
Peter__
On which platform? I'm not convinced the "new" shuffle is in all of the apps.
kjbllc

I have almost 6,000 songs on my playlist and i hear the same songe over again in a single days listening 

Joe

We don't need algorithms. We need a real shuffle and NOT a random play function. I suspect this is more difficult to implement as only being able to queue 50 tracks is going to be a limiting factor.

jeremygoh
@meahtenoha any updates on this rolling out on mobile? The same songs are being played over and over again.. Been a few months since this article was out.