Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Album Classifications? Why are some albums 15 minutes?

Album Classifications? Why are some albums 15 minutes?

Hi,

I have read multiple times that album classification for Spotify are:

- 6 songs or more.

- longer than 30 minutes.

But I've seen countless projects that are 15 or 20 minutes, classified as albums. And this is with major artists and independent artist.

My goal; upload a short project with 9 songs that's classified as an album. But I would like to know for sure if it's aloud to be under the 30 minutes. Can someone help me with a clear answer?

5 Replies

Are you sure your'e not looking at an EP ? Thats the only reason I can think of.

Hi thank you for responding. I know for sure that artists like Thierra Wack or XXXtentaction have albums that are 15-20 minutes. But I think I know why. I think the classification are:

- More than 6 songs OR!

- Longer than 30 minutes.

King Gizzard & The Lizzard Wizzard, for example, has an album called Quarters with 4 songs, but the total is 40 minutes. And it's classified as an album. So I think, by doing the math, that the classification are as written above. 

Yes, that makes more sense when put in that perspective. 

Where did you get that info?
"- 6 songs or more.
- longer than 30 minutes"
Because my album is 45 minutes long with 6 songs (all of them are 7+ mins) went to EP section 😞

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We suggest you contact our team at Spotify for Artists. These guys specialize in supporting artist profiles on the platform and they'll be able to answer your questions regarding album classification.

You can contact them here

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Suggested posts