Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[All Platforms][Playlists] Pride Playlists

[All Platforms][Playlists] Pride Playlists

Though I am grateful that Spotify supports LGBT people, I have some issues with the songs chosen. Many of the songs within the playlists are based off of stereotypes of gay people, were not created by gay artists, or are simply irrelavent to the subject.

An example of said songs is Work B***h by Britney Spears. The first problem with this song is that Britney Spears is not LGBT. Gay and transgender artists struggle enough in this industry without straight people hogging the spotlight. The song is also irrelavent. It has absolutely nothing to do with pride.

Another example is Firework by Katy Perry. This song is arguably relavent to pride, as it encourages the listener to let their true self shine. However, this song was not performed by an LGBT artist, and already has a track record for stealing the spotlight from LGBT people. She won an award for LGBT visibility for this song, despite the song not actually mentioning LGBT people in anyway. Oh, and it was the same year that Ellen Page came out.

In short, I believe that all songs in the "Pride" catagory should be written by LGBT artists, as LGBT people suffer enough withough straight people overshadowing them in a section that is supposed to be ours.

3 Replies

Hi and thanks for your feedback. I've moved your post to the Content Questions board, where we can discuss the available Spotify library as well as the Spotify-curated playlists: the Idea Exchange isn't really the best place to give feedback on the content of playlists. I understand your point about the Pride playlists, and will leave this thread open for feedback from others. 🙂

I think this is such an important conversation. When I was coming out, there weren't any lesbian pop artists for me to look up to or who were relatable to me. That's why it's so important to me to make mainstream music through my own lense - that of a lesbian woman. We have to be more visible to encourage people to be exactly who they are. I just released my latest single, and have an ep coming out this month.

Take a listen:

https://open.spotify.com/track/5LOOBuvoF6iKvvFnJzcenM

https://youtu.be/fD3U9gBcYS0

x - to the - o

Jessie Standafer

Hey there... I totally agree there is a need for a larger presence of LGBT musicians in the spotlight espicially now more than ever. It's a unique time for Spotify to provide a spcifically curated playlist of TRUE LGBT supporters. This is what the community needs more than ever. Empowerment and a voice through music. And what an exciting time it is to be a Gay singer songwriter. 

My music is known as LGBTI supportive and the lyric I write about would relate to this community clearly. 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4Oy0pjN7o8MlTsX1hyhBs6

Suggested posts