Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Artist not searchable and no albums listed, but music is there

Artist not searchable and no albums listed, but music is there

Hello,

There is a certain artist I'd been hoping to turn up on Spotify, and it turns out she's already there, but her name isn't searchable via the normal Search box. By chance, I just found her via Google search looking--a page instructing me to open Spotify and search. Still no dice.

In a roundabout way, a different artist I listen to has her listed in their Related Artists page, and I was able to Follow her that way.

Stranger still, however, she has no music listed, but if I press Play, her album plays, albeit out of order. All the songs seem to be on Spotify, but they are unlisted, and the Spotify client simply says "Help create Popular Songs for this artist!"

This affects all of my players on Windows, Linux, and my Android phone.

Is this a bug, or simply missing information in some database or something?

13 Replies

@kzrssk

Hello:

Which artist are you having trouble searching for? Also as there are so many different listening regions, listing your nation where you registered your Spotify account from might help in case of any data base errors, so the information can be escalated if this being the case for search errors of artists.

Also you might also try logging out of the Spotify apps and logging back in. This forces the apps to refresh again in case of information not updating correctly or other issues. Sometimes on a few rare cases a PC reboot after logging out of the Spotify app can clear a few issues up if something is hanging up somewhere, and then logging back into the app and attempt again to do what you where doing before the issue showed up.

I'm registered from the United States. The artist's name is Margaux Avril. Her music is there and plays fine if I locate her in the round-about way, but she, herself, can't be found via the Search box, and even then, she has no songs or albums listed. Same result after rebooting and logging back in. Everything else works fine, just this one artist.

I've also come across some other artists that have nothing listed, but haven't tested them out in the same manner. At the time I just thought they had no music on Spotify.

Hope this helps!
Thanks

@kzrssk

Hum that is odd, how did you find the artist's music in the round about way? Sometimes I will come across contet missing from an artist page, and then do keyword searches for release titles in case I missed anything, and find additional content that is spread across several artist pages which can be a little annoying at times.

Edied to add:

The classic metal band Blitzkrieg that was part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal is that way, some of the released content on the Spotify service is spread across two different artists pages with the same artist name from both artist pages. The classic Black Metal band Venom is that way as well with content on several artist pages with the artist name, due to several other artists using the same artist name.

Oddly, I was able to find her on Spotify through DuckDuckGo and Google. I was looking for lyrics at the time, I'm pretty sure, but I can also find it again with just "Margaux Avril Spotify," and her artist page comes right up in the web player, though with only the message "Help create Popular Tracks" as in the client.

Looks like her album is also there, which is now also showing up in search engine results, but it's all greyed out in the web player. Can't find the album using the client, as before.

@kzrssk

Hum, any content greyed out is content not playable for users in their listening region. But just for a fun exercise, I ended up having no luck finding the artist for a U.S. account user either, so the artist's content must have started to be pulled in certain listening regions and you happened to still come across a release in the system reachable by a search but everything greyed out and not playable.

Her music is playable, it simply doesn't show up in Spotify search or her artist page.

@kzrssk

Can you post a link to the content?

Sure! spotify:artist:4T3z2u4ZpoiTmhLpHw5Za1 or https://open.spotify.com/artist/4T3z2u4ZpoiTmhLpHw5Za1

So what happens is nothing shows up, but if you hit Play, the album plays fine, just out of order.

Hope it helps!

@kzrssk

Interesting, none of that content plays, strange. I think the next question is when the release by that artist loads in your play queue can you click on the album title, and go to the album page view and provide an album URI link from there pasted in a new post here if possible? As with the album link I can do a region look up with a third party Spotify API site and see what regions it is currently available in or if none at all. 

The thing is like you posted earlier, the artist page shows blank no music on it which means the debut release by that artist has been pulled or is not available for my listening region, and of course means nothing is there for anyone to see. When I clicked the play button the app attempted to load the debut album but nothing played. I then went to my Play Queue and clicked on the album title there, as the desktop app did load all the albums songs to play. I wanted to see if the album page would load from the album content in the play queue, no dice here as well. The album page does not load anywhere from the desktop app for me, except the app did place the songs in the play queue to play but then failed to do so, I did not even get the blue bar warning about the music being unavailable like normal. And with the Webplayer the play button for me is just a dull color and is not responsive with a mouse click at all, which would lead a user to figure no content by the artist exists on the service for them to play.

Also just to double check these possibilities, have you maybe offlined this content from a created playlist? Content can be offlined for up to 30 days at a time. Do you maybe have the music files of this release stored on a device or PC in local file music format, and the content is added in a playlist this way? Just trying to rule out odd situations that could be and arise with local music files, offlined content, and maybe just a general bug hanging around in the system. This one is a strange one.

Please do respond back about the questions, this one is sort of interesting trying to figure out.

Okay, Album link is spotify:album:0cdnaW5ibS7rSfSvFZ7R0h

No local files for the album, but strange situation with saving offline--Prior to saving, my phone wouldn't play any of the songs, but I told Spotify to make the artist available for offline. After that, my phone was able to play the songs. The desktop client behaves as it has been: songs grayed out, but play anyway. Neither client can start an artist radio station, but both can start an album radio station.

Just in case it is a region thing, I messaged the artist to ask that she enable her music for the US, heh. Is it possible that when I originally signed up, I set my region to France? I don't recall the sign up asking me any such question, but it was years ago. I didn't start regularly using Spotify until recently.

Thanks for the album link, the album is available to these listening regions currently: AD AR AT AU BE BG BO BR CH CL CO CR CY CZ DE DK DO EC EE ES FI FR GB GR GT HK HN HU IE IS IT LI LT LU LV MC MT MY NI NL NO NZ PA PE PH PL PT PY RO SE SG SI SK SV TR TW UY

Not available to these regions: CA MX US

If you can confirm what country your account is set to from here: https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/ I can escalate this issue to have a Spotify mod have this looked at by the content teams, so the content team can check out what might be the issue with regards to Desktop apps vs the webplayer having access issues with this release from the listening regions currently allowed.

I won't lie--I'm leery of escalating this if it means I won't be able to listen to the album anymore, haha. Is it normal for music to be unavailable to only greater North America?

edit: Welp, guess that'll happen. I'll just have to wait until her label okays the music for the US and Canada.

I have the same problem. Here is the link to my artist: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5sHo0UxEzQxWKFV9yY0UZH?si=mmOkclZiQnqIP3eyM-Qo6A

I can listen and everything, but the artist ain't appearing on the search box. If I wanna find them I need to write the artist name followed by one of the songs. Example:

The GRES Jimi

Suggested posts