Highlighted
6 people liked this

Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

Gig Goer
‎2016-03-03 12:53 AM

I'm a Spotify premium subscriber.

I was listening to this track (in highest quality streaming):

https://open.spotify.com/track/4JO5eK1uiI6MvJIrtBrhI3

It's a beautiful recording rendered unlistenable due to the fluttering sound of the digital watermark Decca (Universal) is using.

I have removed the entire album from my music (a shame) and I realize there are other performances of the same work available, but can't understand why they would ruin a recording like this for the people who are paying for the premium service in order to hear high quality recordings!  How much do we have to pay to hear the original unaltered recording?  I am afraid to even buy the CD or download now because it may have the same watermark applied.

I would hope Spotify will refuse to stream recordings like this, at least for premium subscribers.

28 Replies

Re: Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

Concert Regular
‎2016-10-13 12:40 AM

I've been noticing the same thing on many recordings from Universal.  It seems that Spotify needs to ask Universal to re-upload their entire catalog.  This isn't just on Spotify, but also Itunes and other services.  

Here is another terrible example.  Just listen to the first 30 seconds if this track:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5c9v5oU43Oo22MSG8EKFp2

This one is just awful.

Can't anything be done about this?

2 people liked this

Concert Regular
‎2017-01-17 08:43 PM

Yes, the horrendous UMG watermark flutter. 

Spotify have been aware of that problem for at least 4 years now and have simply ignored it. Granted, before 2013 there was simply no solution as UMG watermark was still broken. However, around mid 2013, UMG finally changed their WM technology and the solution is for Spotify to redownload the UMG library.

It is a shame that the most incredible classical recordings are plagued by that problem and that Spotify just stay complacent about it.

Concert Regular
‎2017-03-05 12:17 AM

I didn't realize Universal had changed watermarking technology in 2013.  Do you have links to any information on it?  I'd love to be able to subscribe to a music service where I could listen with inaudible or no watermarking.

Festival VIP
‎2017-03-08 10:35 PM

I have to say, I can't hear any fluttering, certainly nothing even remotely the same as the examples posted by Matt Montag on his site.

Did Spotify redownload the affected music from UMG, with the new inaudible watermark (or none at all)?

Concert Regular
‎2017-03-11 11:56 PM

@HenrikStevn

Did you listen to the tracks I listed?  The watermark is still there and clearly audible (at least to me).

Festival VIP
‎2017-03-13 10:13 PM

I did, and I'm not sure I hear the watermark.

I can definitely hear it in the Three Doors Down song, however.

Top Star
‎2017-03-13 10:17 PM

Hey all!

Alright, thanks for your feedback! I'm not able to replicate your issue and can't hear any watermarks. Could you guys tell me a bit more about what's happening?

Thanks, take care!

Festival VIP
‎2017-03-13 10:22 PM

There's a good example on this site: https://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark concerning the song Three Doors Down - When You're Young.

If you listen to this song on Spotify, it sounds exactly like the watermarked version, clearly audible degradation.

Concert Regular
‎2017-03-16 02:04 AM

For me, the fluttery sound was much more obvious with headphones and in a quiet room.

SUGGESTED POSTS