Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

Re: Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

cstak

I am also experiencing this issue and really hope Spotify addresses this defect in their product.

Erziram
Casual Listener

Actually moved away from Spotify because of this. And since other music services do not fare better and it's variable at best, I once again download EAC to screw the music industry back for not letting me enjoy music in a really high quality through easy, payed channels and means like Spotify, Tidal, etc.. Besides going to a concert (which I do a lot), I really don't have much options here to enjoy the content at it's full extent.

EvilCoincoin
Regular

As already pointed out, UMG since then fixed the faulty technology but Spotify have repeatedly refused to redownload the corrupted music. I contacted Spotify directly, they told me they knew about it and they wouldn't do anything. It's been 5 years now and Spotify are still ignoring this.

russellh1
Music Fan

It is no better on any of the other music services that I am aware of.  There seems to be no way of getting UMG music online without the watermark.

russellh1
Music Fan

Please let me know where you went after leaving Spotify.  I would happily move to another premium streaming service if I could get better sound from UMG recordings.

richbs
Gig Goer

I've been noticing this on recordings more often recently, I don't know if something has changed but it seems the exact same recording on Apple Music often has a non-watermarked version. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/02JXg8buWnM0BlSM6drL28?si=3IoAZaDfRciitTAD3CyWIQ

vs.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/poulenc-gloria-stabat-mater/83873541

Newer UMG recordings are not affected.

richbs
Gig Goer

Hi Russelh1,

Just to let you know I've been trialling a lot of alternative streaming services including Tidal, Deezer and Apple Music. I compared several releases on each service. The best I found for lacking the watermark was Qobuz, which also caters for the "audiophile" audience. If you're more into popular music, Apple Music seemed to have fewer instances of watermarking.

I did find watermarking on some recordings on all services and not necessarily on the same tracks!

user-removed
Not applicable

I've been having this battle with UMG and Apple Music for quite a long time. I only listen to classical music, most of it solo piano and symphonies and I noticed it immediately on most DG, Decca, Philips (and other UMG sub-labels) records. I didn't know it was digital watermarking so I have exchanged a lot of emails with Apple Music, even sending them my own rip of Chopin's ballades with Krystian Zimmerman by DG where it's like night and day difference. Ultimately they acknowledged they hear the difference but can do nothing and never mentioned it was digital watermarking. I then discovered Matt Montag's post and everything came into its place. So, it's been a year since and what can I tell. Nothing's changed on Apple Music. So I decided to just ban UMG. I started researching other performers and labels and I have now completely swtiched to Sony Classical releases. They have recently remastered and re-released RCA Living Stereo recordings. I have deliberately removed all UMG releases from my library and I won't ever listen to any of them. If I have to, I will deliberately download a pirated copies form well known torrent sites. But I am not gonna pay for an abomination like that.

user-removed
Not applicable

Ohh, BTW, there's a new streaming service dedicated only to classical music called IDAGIO. I've tried it and there are no watermarks on any of the DG releases and the premium service stream in lossless FLAC. I believe since they are a small team, they probably just rip the CD-s themselves which is why no watermarks.

I've tested it for a month, however I've had many problems. First of all, they do not support the notion of "album", so you can't simply listen to a well-known CD. You need to know a particular composer, work, performer and year of relase but since there are not CD-covers and many release years are acutally re-master or re-release years, it's very difficult to find what you llok for. Add to that bugs, high load on macOS, etc. But they promised changing their ideology about the albums, so maybe in a year or so they will get better.

richbs
Gig Goer

Thanks for fighting the good fight, CyberGene. I think your idea of listening to non-UMG recordings is great. It's a good opportunity to support indie labels.

Idaho looks great—it seemed to be missing a couple of records bit I admire their ethos.

I might subscribe to another service occasionally but I do find Spotify's interface and integrations to be the best in the business.

SUGGESTED POSTS