Re: Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

russellh1
Music Fan

I thought I could hear the watermark on this:

https://www.idagio.com/recordings/23462151

richbs
Gig Goer

You certainly can! There's a lot of distortion in that first big chord.

This version on Apple Music lacks the watermark and sounds good to my ears.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ballade-no-1-in-g-minor-op-23/57203559?i=57203564

This version on Spotify lacks the watermark and also sounds good.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6niW30BW6nrRIfnXJo2Ht3?si=TKOP6FOkSMe9eop5FLwUmg

The weird thing is that the Complete Works on Apple Music has the watermark and the single disk edition on Spotify has the watermark. It's like a mirror image.

user-removed
Not applicable

That's an interesting development! I've discovered that myself recently: the separate Ballades CD by DG doesn't have the audible watermarks so apparently they've reuploaded the content (most probably with a non-audible watermark), however the 17-CD Complete Chopin set that includes the same recording is still entirely messed up with the watermarks.

What's odd is that while the IDAGIO version used to be OK, it has apparently been replaced with the bad one! I canceled my IDAGIO subscription long ago due to it being buggy, the interface not intuitive and the still widespread lack of "album" notion seriously preventing me from liking it but it's disappointing that they were given the bad-watermarked DG-releases :(

Seems like I will stick to Apple Music and might un-ban UMG releases.

This whole "crisis" actually opened my ears a lot to so many rather unknown musicians and labels and taught me there's probably too much big-name prejudice in the classical music world.

BTW, I am really impressed by the Harmonia Mundi label it is now my favorite. It would be hard for me to point a single record by that label which isn't excellent.

richbs
Gig Goer

It's a shame that ambitious new music services like idagio get lumbered by the same UMG watermarking. I've noticed that Qobuz does have fewer examples of tracks with watermarking but is not immune.

Harmonia Mundi are great; I particularly love the Berg/Beethoven violin concertos with Faust and Abbado. Beautifully played and recorded.

user-removed
Not applicable

What a coincidence! I've also started with the Beethoven/Berg and Isabelle Faust. It's not surprising she now happens to be my favorite violin player! Everything she recorded is fantastic. Her Brahms, Dvorak, Mozart and the recent Mendelssohn concertos are my reference records for those concertos.

richbs
Gig Goer

I followed up with the Mendelssohn Faust recording and really enjoyed it. At times, beautifully transparent and others nice and crunchy. A great example of a label that respects its listeners.

cthulhu184

I'm so glad that I'm not alone on this.  For me the issue has been most noticable on Decca recordings. And no, you don't have to be a audiophool to hear it.  Dedicated listening in a quiet space or with headphones, reveals it clearly, particularly in sustained strings passages.

Here is a perfect example:

https://open.spotify.com/track/3UNrSxaC7ADadA6WlgFiLg?si=mkjYPqPvRHW4EZ_yvGp1Yg

It's hard to recommend Spotify to anyone who does a lot of classical listening for this reason, and as others are reporting, it affects a lot more of the catalogue than I realised.

R.I.P. what.cd

user-removed
Not applicable

At the other end of the music spectrum, just started playing Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter “1 + 1” on my iPhone speakers (Apple Music) and since it begins with an introspective piano improvisation I could immediately hear even through the iPhone speakers the nasty sound trembling. Looking at the album info what a “surprise”: The Verve Music Group, a division of UMG. 

miero

You can try to switch off the "High quality" streaming.

I checked the audio of the linked track on the normal quality and it was much more closer to a CD version than the high quality stream.

https://open.spotify.com/track/58uem87EElJobfMa1jR20B?si=yX-w-DkqQ_-I4xgL8bRffw

user-removed
Not applicable

FWIW the issue seems to be mostly fixed on Google Play Music, unfortunately it still exists on Youtube Music which is supposed to replace GPM at some point... but we at least have proof that it can be done, come on Spotify!

SUGGESTED POSTS