Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

Re: Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

brincktron
Casual Listener

Being an audio engineer with years of experience in listening for small unregularities in audio content, I must admit that more and more and more songs reveal some disturbing artifacts on Spotify, which I've been using for many years.
I have recently discovered a degrade in quality (as premium user) for instance in this song: https://open.spotify.com/track/2c3pvppnBfFRad6gOoMoJQ?si=jJ-qi0W0Ru-S_MIlijstTw

I definately cannot live with this, if it is deliberate degredation using watermarks - it is so Spotify??

richbs
Gig Goer

I have auditioned that wonderful Horowitz recording and sadly confirm that the watermarking I’ve come to know and hate is present. It makes the finest pianos sound gurgly and wobbly.

It is present in most Universal releases pre-2013. This means Decca, Philips and DG. Basically most of the important recordings of the major Western orchestras.

Other music services are less affected, e.g. Qobuz and Apple Music, but not immune.

russellh1
Music Fan

Another year goes by and the watermarks are still there.

clsnwbrdr616

I cancelled my Spotify account mainly because I get Google Music for free with my YouTube Premium subscription. However, for a while I had both and kept noticing how Spotify's audio quality sounded so much worse than Google's.  It wasnt until trying out Tidal that I learned about the watermarking and realized that was what I was hearing on Spotify.  The Spotify tracks I thought sounded terrible sounded just as bad on Tidal.

I'm not going to claim that Google Music doesnt have any watermarked music, but at the very least the tracks I've noticed the watermarks on with Spotify and Tidal dont have the watermarks on Google. I haven't come across any new watermarked tracks on Google either (for the genres I listen to).

So I guess I'll be sticking with Google Music unless the watermarking trend ever goes away.  I really do miss Spotifys radio and discovery algorithm as they are far superior to Google's radio algorithms, but music quality means far more to me than those features. 

I support record companies' rights to protect their intellictual property, but this is not the way to do it.  Punishing people who are obtaining musically legally through streaming services is not going to reduce piracy, but instead is going to push those people to use less than legal means to obtain the undamaged versions of the music.

Chappuchino

I stumbled upon this after getting pi$$ed off listening to DGG recordings on Spotify with what I hear as a weird warble. Especially noticeable on vocal and quiet strings. Same thing as this watermark discussed here?

TC

CryticalAce
Community Legend

There isn't a whole lot Spotify can do here afaik, they upload what they get, if it is watermarked, that's because the distributor/artist wanted it so. I could be wrong, but this is how I see the situation

richbs
Gig Goer

The watermarking I've experienced is exactly as you describe. :slightly_frowning_face:

richbs
Gig Goer

Absolutely right @cryticalace, this is the label's mistake and shows a lack of respect for their wonderful recordings and listeners. I'm just hoping that one day Spotify will have sufficient influence to request the labels re-upload non-watermarked content. Fingers crossed!

brincktron
Casual Listener

When I wanted to sit down and listen and pay attention to the spiritual music of John Coltrane, my music experience was once again ruined by artifacts:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2h1o6yFR9Gjh8DqHwTy3M9?si=TkMqRBioTreBwFVBFvTlTw

I even listened to the "deluxe" version of the album, that is more well balanced than the original album. The audio quality is much better when listening to the same release on Apple Music - WHAT ARE YOU DOING SPOTIFY?? - forcing us to leave you?

richbs
Gig Goer

Totally agree—with Coltrane it is criminal to be distracted by watermarks. 

iTunes even has a "mastered for iTunes" version of this record, where the 24-bit masters have been directly converted to the AAC version. Not sure how important that is but it shows more respect for the music than watermarks.

SUGGESTED POSTS