Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Block / disallow suggestions for certain content

The last 8 times I've opened Spotify I've been greeted by a big waiting Bible podcast recommendation sat there. I get the hint Spotify, but stop. It was cool the first time. It was boring the second. And it is in fact so annoying by the 8th time that I have to write this post to ask for this feature to be implemented.

I hope it's been made clear: I don't want to listen to the bible, much less on Spotify, and there is no way within the app to ask it to stop recommending me this, honestly, outrageously offensive content. I would very much appreciate this feature, thanks in advance. I'm sure the bible people would appreciate such a feature as well!

Updated on 2023-08-22

Hey there folks,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
skarosian

Lately I've been getting podcasts recommended to me on Spotify when I open it on mobile. Generally, I wouldn't be bothered by this, but at this point I get them every single time I open the app, and there have been suggestions that bring up traumatizing memories. This is distressing because I love using Spotify, and it IS my music app of choice, but it's very not fun to nearly have a breakdown almost every time I open the app.

I strongly believe that Spotify should introduce a "dismiss" or "do not show again" feature, similar to how YouTube lets you say "I'm not interested in this video."

I'm sure there are other users who have other more mundane things such as artists they straight up don't want to listen to, or the same circumstance as having things suggested to them that are either distressing or completely out of their interests.

lauracheer14

Same for me because I really want to remove playlists that only have modern country songs (examples: Very Nearly Nashville & Wild Country) from the so-called "More of What You Like" category (should have been renamed as "Recommended Playlists for You" because the current name is very inaccurate to me and I never heard some of those playlists from that category before) unless it is a crossover country pop playlist "PopCo" that features both pop and country artists. I also want to remove the Spotify Singles playlists from that category because I might not want to listen to those playlists very often. In addition to playlists, I want to remove songs by Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown from some Spotify playlists that I already like (including Roots Revival). The only genres that I want to see from that category that I am most familiar with are EDM, pop, rock, R&B, Latin, folk, bluegrass, Americana, acoustic covers, jazz, alternative/indie, pop punk, classical, Christian/Gospel, and oldies. I also don't have a problem with seeing Regional Mexican, hip-hop, blues, and K-Pop (just the ones that include BTS) playlists on that category although I don't know much about those genres. In addition, Spotify should stop suggesting podcasts to me based on popups because I never listen to podcasts on Spotify before but I added a few manually in case I have enough time to listen to podcasts and another reason is because Spotify should have a "Shuffle Play" feature of each podcast so I don't have to listen to the latest episode first.

osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-02-29

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Goabnb

Yes! I'm so effing sick of this. I've paid for premium, I shouldn't have podcasts (don't use spotify for podcasts) being "suggested", aka advertised, to me. I should be able to turn them off, or at the very least swipe them away.

GhostBee

This is a super good feature Spotify should have! Every once in awhile I'm suggested things that I just don't want anything to do with. I can't see how this isn't already a thing. Spotify! Look into this!

Peter
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-04-03

Marked as a new idea + edited title.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

ScroogeMcDad

Yes! Please include this in a future update. I've had The Jim Cornette podcast on my suggestions for a over a year, never once listened to it and I want it and other heinous suggestion gone from my feed.

Same issue for me, but instead of the Bible it is Michelle Obama. Yes, she's awesome, but I'm presented with her podcasts every single time I use the app... It has to stop! 

kyuukyuukun

This is an amazing idea! Today, on both the mobile and desktop versions on Spotify, I suddenly saw this podcast list of creepypastas being recommended to me, while I'm not even interested in that because I know very well what creepypasta does to my mental well-being! If only I could mark the whole list as 'not interested' like I often do with YouTube videos, or even 'block' it, similar to how you can block artists on Spotify.

sa124

There are other posts in this community on this same subject - dismissing recommended content  seems like it should be a standard feature, but doesn’t appear to be a priority for Spotify.