Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Can I download music to my MP3 player?

Solved!

Can I download music to my MP3 player?

I just began using Spotify.  Can I download music to my MP3 player directly or do I have to get it to Window Media Player?  If I need to get music to WMP, how do I do that?  Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

stoney is right on the ball here.

Spotify relies on a a "closed system" in order to ensure artists are fairly paid for track plays. This means that a Spotify premium subscription only gives you access to Spotify's massive catalgoue, and the ability to download and play tracks offline inside the Spotify applications, not the ability to download tracks as mp3's.

This does mean, that you can only listen to Spotify content on devices which have a supported Spotify application, such as iOS, android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7/8 and Symbian (also on the desktop!). If you wish to download tracks as mp3 files to transfer to windows media player or to a generic mp3 player then you will need to purchase those tracks from another source. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

49 Replies

Dear dugchevy,

Spotify is not designed to download Music in MP3 or WMP Format. What you can do is activate the "Offline Mode". This will download the songs in a proprietary format which you can play back with your Smartphone, PC/Mac or iPod Touch using the Spotify Application. You can however not extract songs into other formats.

Regards

Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

stoney is right on the ball here.

Spotify relies on a a "closed system" in order to ensure artists are fairly paid for track plays. This means that a Spotify premium subscription only gives you access to Spotify's massive catalgoue, and the ability to download and play tracks offline inside the Spotify applications, not the ability to download tracks as mp3's.

This does mean, that you can only listen to Spotify content on devices which have a supported Spotify application, such as iOS, android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7/8 and Symbian (also on the desktop!). If you wish to download tracks as mp3 files to transfer to windows media player or to a generic mp3 player then you will need to purchase those tracks from another source. 

Peter

Peter

what kind of format is Spotify, mp3 or something else ?

I own a 2 GB Ipod shuffle and want the music I have put onto my Ipod.

@drako83 wrote:

what kind of format is Spotify, mp3 or something else ?

I own a 2 GB Ipod shuffle and want the music I have put onto my Ipod.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

It is not possible to listen Spotify catalogue content to any device which does not support the Spotify application. With that in mind, you won't be able to transfer Spotify content onto your iPod shuffle. There is more information about this limitation in this post

Peter

Peter

my Spotify says that it is compatible with Ipod, Iphone and Android products.

does that not mean that my 2 GB Ipod shuffle is also compatible since it is a Ipod product ?

@drako83 wrote:

my Spotify says that it is compatible with Ipod, Iphone and Android products.

does that not mean that my 2 GB Ipod shuffle is also compatible since it is a Ipod product ?

Spotify is compatible with iPod nanos, shuffles, classics and minis but it will only allow you to sync local files which you already own to those devices, not any content from the Spotify service. If you want the full Spotify experience, it needs to be an iPod Touch I'm afraid. 

Peter

Peter

then I have been ripped off by the Ipod products and Spotify too, because Spotify does not warn it's consumers before hand when they are still brand new "I became a free member when spotify started it's 1st day" and the same applies to All Ipod products too

I will now quote Spotify....  

"Find all your favorite songs and more, Share with all your friends, Listen wherever you are, on whatever you have."

Hi drako83!

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way about Spotify and iPod, we certainly don't want anyone feeling ripped off. 

As Peter mentioned, it's still possible to use Spotify on your iPod but only for the syncing of local files.

You can find info on how to sync these here

Please let us know if you have any other questions about this. 

___

New to the Community? Check out the Community newbie tips

Did I solve your problem? Click 'Accept As Solution' to help others find the answer!

Need Spotify help on Twitter? Head to @SpotifyCares

when something or someone says: Find all your favorite songs and more, Share with all your friends, Listen wherever you are, on whatever you have, it Literally means that you take the music Spotify has and put it on your Ipod device !!!

Can you provide a link to where it says that? I don't think it is meant to be misleading. 

Peter

Peter

the link is on the top right of my window where it says "back to spotify.com"

darn, need some tunes for my MP3 while flying guess this is not for me.

can i put spotify songs on my mp3 player can someone to me how to put spotify songs on a mp3player i have try to put the songs on my mp3 palyer it did not work on it so can someone help with that pls thank you God bless you 

Spotify is a streaming service, not a download service. Spotify only gives you access to the Spotify catalogue through the official Spotify applications, so they can track play counts and make sure artists are fairly compensated. With that in mind it does not give you access to download tracks as mp3's for use outside of the Spotify apps. 

If you want tracks for you mp3 player, you will need to purchase them from another source.

Peter

Peter

Is there any plan to add the Beatles' music to the Spotify catalog? I'm sure that I am not the first to ask 🙂

iTunes took a long while before they added the Beatles too

thank you

Joe

@schnj wrote:

Is there any plan to add the Beatles' music to the Spotify catalog? I'm sure that I am not the first to ask 🙂

iTunes took a long while before they added the Beatles too

thank you

Joe

Spotify's official statement on missing content is here. 

From reading around, Beatles licensing looks like a big mess but I am sure the guys at Spotify (who we musn't forget are massive music fans) would like to see them on the service too!

Peter

I agree with you drako83, being a music lover myself, I constantly boast about songs I've discovered to friends who want to listen, but, I do not have sufficient means to do so.  Most of the songs are one-offs so to purchase an entire elbum for a single song is streaching the purse strings.  Surely a 'pay per song' payment plan must be in the works somewhere just waiting for activation.

There are a variety of other companies online who offer pay per song downloads (just not Spotify).

Peter

Suggested posts