Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Can I use Spotify Artist Pictures as Playlist Cover Artwork?

Can I use Spotify Artist Pictures as Playlist Cover Artwork?

I can use the songs that artists publish within Spotify to create a public playlist within Spotify. My question is: Can I also use the pictures that artists publish within Spotify to upload a cover for such a public playlist?

Example: I have a public playlist with 100 artists in it. I want to upload a playlist cover image, and for that I take an artist image from one of the 100 artists in the playlist (not an album cover, but an artist picture as shown on the artist profile page).

If that's okay, cause Spotifys policy allows that content provided by artists within Spotify can be used for playlist creation within Spotify (not matter if song or image), then I would like to know if it's also okay to alter these images, eg. overlay text like the title of a playlist or apply a color filter (like what Spotify itself does for their playlists).

Example: For the public playlist with 100 artists I chose one artist image I would like to use. I then load it into Photoshop, crop it to square and overlay the title of my playlist (eg. "Best of 2020"). I export that image and upload it as the cover of my playlist.

Thanks for any help.

3 Replies

To be clear: I'm not asking for advice on how to achieve this technically. I'm only interested in the legal aspect, like if it's okay to do this copyright-wise and what's Spotifys policy in this regard.

Were you able to get an answer to this? If so, I'm interested in hearing it

Hi folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

Currently, any image that is uploaded to Spotify needs to follow the Intellectual property and privacy guidelines. Which means it's not possible to use the personal image of somebody else without their consent, this includes artists. 

To get the whole info about these guidelines please head to this support article. 

Hope this clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts