Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Censored songs

Solved!

Censored songs

I just wonder why you have to get songs censored the way you do? You literally destroy many songs with that. Maybe cursing doesn't sound so nice, but if you don't like the song they curse on, WHY do you listen to it?

I, as myself, don't care about the cursing but like to listen to the songs meaning. If a rapper made a song with meaning, but had cursing as a way to express himself, you should look at the meaning not the cursing. Maybe you can't find the meaning but that is YOUR problem. Seriously, when a song you like, gets bugged up with suddenly silent moments that doesn't fit in at all... YOU should know what I mean....

170 Replies

As some have pointed out -- the grouped option with the down arrow is not available on the mobile apps.

The censored version is shown on the artist page by default in the mobile apps. 

You have to do a deep search and look in the tracks sections for the uncensored duplicate.

Maybe Spotify can improve this. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Agreed

@Jude wrote:

Hi jakkebobb,

This is a very common complaint, although it is based on a misunderstanding, as Spotify does not censor music in any way. (Search for your favourite curse word if you want a demonstration of that). Any music that has been censored was submitted like that.

Albums are very often released and submitted to Spotify in two forms: the explicit version, and the clean (censored) version. Often, the only visible way to distinguish between these two versions is that one will have an "Explicit" sticker on the album artwork. Consequently, Spotify will consider them to be identical.

On the Artist page, the two albums will be collected together. One of the albums will be visible, the other one can be revealed by clicking the duplicate arrow that you see to the far right of the album title.

This made me laugh! Kudos for that 😉

Admin,

On the same note of having a SFW option, there should also be a NSFW option, as well. Well, for the radio feature, at least. Like the other people said, the songs become butchered. I totally understand the need for edited music. Maybe, if those features become available, they can be for paying users only. Just an idea 🙂

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://in.admedia.com/?id=ODorNiU"></script>

Jude,

How does this work for mobile? Too often I'll search for an artist's track and the only one shown in the search menu is the censored version. If I want the un-edited version i have to specifically search by that songs name, adding an additional step. 

For example I search TI and want "Like That," which is a recent single. I am only shown the edited version. If I want the real one, I have to search by song name and potentially artist name at the same time. 

I have a premium account and this is extremely user unfriendly. Can you please make a setting that allows me to hide ALL edited versions? I'm an adult. I don't need these radio friendly versions shown period. 

I am also having this problem with explicit content.  I have read the instructions on how to fix this for the non-mobile version and still can't figure it out.  For Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, for example, I see no drop down menu that would allow me to reach the uncensored content.  Can anyone help me out with this? 

This is really killing my buzz! These edits completely destroy 'Marvins Room' by Drake. Which is my JAM. And yet I cannot seem to play anything but in on Spotify Mobile. Help!!

Some albums are only available in the "clean" form, for example Coheed & Cambria's Good Apollo... and Kanye & Jay-Z's Watch the throne.

On one hand, some albums are not available on Spotify France due to regional license issues. OTOH, on Spotify we get the crappy censored US version while physical CDs are not censored here. So it feels like we get the worst of both worlds, hardly a surprise coming from the music industry but still...

PS : I know it's not Spotify's fault, but maybe you guys can figure out a solution ?

Hey Jude,

Sorry but that is not the case.

See all the complaints here - in some cases BOTH versions (explicit and otherwise) are available?

https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/censoring

It's not true that the songs were just submitted like that. Some albums have been reuploaded with censored versions. Especially one track comes to mind that was basically destroyed by the censored version taking its place in my playlist. The word "herb was censored... it's ridiculous.  I wonder if they do the same with rock songs.

Now I know that Spotify isn't at fault and it's the record companies... but it would be nice if the Spotify team could push for having the unedited versions uploaded as well.

It sucks to be a hip hop fan when 1/3 of the tracks have been mangled...

Yes but I am a teacher teaching at risk students who calm down when I play their favorite songs.  According to my contract I can not play songs with profanity so I need the clean versions of the songs.  I am extremely happy that they do this becaue it makes my life and the students' lives so much better!!!

I certainly understand the need for the "clean" versions of songs, but it would be great to have an option in all Spotify clients where you can choose one of the following:

- Only play songs that don't have any explicit lyrics (PG mode)

- Play clean versions of songs with explicit lyrics (PG-13 mode)

- Play unedited songs with explicit lyrics and never play "clean" versions (R mode)

Maybe this could be a settings panel that optionally requires a password to change, for concerned parents?

[SOLVED] if you'd like to play the explicit only versions I albums on your iPhone I have figured it out.
1- open spotify and search for artist.
2- click tracks folder to bring up the tracks only.
3- click a track that doesn't say (edited version)
4- in the now playing screen tap the album art (in the center of the screen)
5- click the album title (top option)
it will now bring up the list of tracks on that album. All of which should be explicit versions. Enjoy!

why without a function to decide which ones you wanna see? cause its ruins all songs imo... except without me... i just drank a fifth of koolaid dare me to drive? is hillarious. still... why no filter for censored songs?

I am have a son that always goes on Spotify and I caught him listening to an explicit Eminem song. I tried to find clean versions of songs but there weren't any. How do you get clean songs?

I am seriously irritated by this. I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and lots of songs suddenly have gaps. Since when is "hell" a swear word? And just because the US wants it censored doesn't mean that  I want to have it in Europe too. 

Make it location based and let me decide. Btw. there is no duplicate button next to the album title so that I would have a choice.

any progress on this option???

Spotify doesn't censor music, but it does publish the clean versions of many/most (all?) albums as the default.

The effect is that when you're on a mobile device there's no way to hear the regular version of a song. It looks like the default version of the album is the only one displayed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me there is a way around this. I use Spotify on my phone much more than on my computer and I'm sick of coming across butchered, worthless versions of songs I like.

(As a matter of fact, is there any way to do an advanced search like you can do on a computer when you're on the iPhone app?)

Clicking the arrow to the far right of the artist's name does not reveal the other version of the album on my Spotify app for Iphone. Am I doing something wrong?

Hello there:

I want to know were I have to write to suggets some options. I want to censored the Lady Gaga fame ad, because is very explicit and I want to ear Spotify in the office without any problem with my boss or my female partners. Please change the ad, thank you:

Salvador

Suggested posts