Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Censored songs

Solved!

Censored songs

I just wonder why you have to get songs censored the way you do? You literally destroy many songs with that. Maybe cursing doesn't sound so nice, but if you don't like the song they curse on, WHY do you listen to it?

I, as myself, don't care about the cursing but like to listen to the songs meaning. If a rapper made a song with meaning, but had cursing as a way to express himself, you should look at the meaning not the cursing. Maybe you can't find the meaning but that is YOUR problem. Seriously, when a song you like, gets bugged up with suddenly silent moments that doesn't fit in at all... YOU should know what I mean....

170 Replies

Hello, I very much doubt there would be any swearing in the advert.

Being a paying premium member and a big, vocal fan of Spotify, it disheartens me that this issue has yet to be resolved. I listen to my songs entirely on my mobile and Ipad, each of which now only has the clean versions available. This completely butchers my listening experience. I'm sad to say I will be canceling my subscription tomorrow.

Thank you for the otherwise superb service.

This is not solved.  Are there any active development to get this fixed?

Some songs even though marked as 'explicit' are still obviously censored and I want a way to fix this.  Maybe mark a song for review to get the full version?

Can you put the duplicate track listing on the playlist screen IN ADDITION to the search screen. I don't want to have to search for every song i've ever added to see if I've been stuck with the non-explicit version. I had explicit songs added, and today I heard a censored version instead. That really makes me worry. Please, if you're going to allow people to add "clean" and "explicit" versions of song MAKE them say which it is. This is crap.

I just downloaded and joined Spotify and started listening to the latest tracks playlist and had to turn it off as my 5yr old and 3yr old where dancing around listening.  So i was hoping there was a way of only playing tracks tat are not explicit? Seems like a must have

Yes, these censored albums are a freakin joke. Only I ain't laughin! It doesn't seem like these good people are, either.

Hi Jude,

It's been a year since you posted this, is it in the works?  I hope this will be implemented; nothing is worse than heavily edited rap.  Most of the time I would want a default setting for "No Clean Versions" or somehing like that.  But for the occasional work event, it would be nice to turn the filter to "Clean Versions Only."  

Best,

Steve

I think there should be a way to separate them, so the target audience that doesn't approve of their children, students etc listening to curse words can select censored songs and us people who aren't bothered by them can choose uncensored

Is there a way for me to find a censored version of a song? There are some songs I want to listen to, but I don't like the cussing.

The problem I have with your post is that I listened to a song for a couple of months uncensored (Atreyu - Blow) and had no problems. Out of no where the song is now completely censored (ruined) and there is no other album (there are two of the same album and both are now censored). Wtf?

I see no "duplicate" arrow by the album - but have searched several albums to try and find an example.  Is this merely a function of me only having a free account - is this an option on premium accounts or am I just missing something.  Currently I'm a Rhapsody paid subscriber and thinking of switching, but Rhapsody does a great job of providing - and showing both the explicit and clean versions (where there are both). 

I used to be in the "down with Tipper Gore" camp.  Listened to LOTS of explicit stuff back in the day and wanted NO filter on my music.  Now with a 3 year old and more than 60 percent of all popular songs having an explicit version (based on lyric analysis of the billboard top 100 2012)..I want to make sure my children only have access to cleansed versions until they are old enough to know better.  Then they can listen to what they want.

Basically, why does spotify make it so difficult to find the clean versions.  I'm all for the explicit stuff being out there and listenable, but why not make it just as easy to find the clean versions?

Censored music is ruining my Spotify experience.  I never want to hear an edited track, ever.  My experience has been that the music I want to listen to is nearly always censored, without an uncensored version available.  This is true not just for obscure music, but for popular artists like Kid Cudi, Slick Rick, Murs, etc.  Please, please add a way to filter out the censored crap.

OK.  Found the "duplicate album" arrow - located after all the tracks down in the lower right hand corner - generally labeled as "1 more release" or "3 more releases" - if they exist for a particular album.  Even then though, it's difficult to determine which of the releases is a "Clean" or "Edited" version - and which is the "Explicit" version.  

If I understand things correctly, you have to click through each of the choices and look at the track listing to see if "Explicit" labels exist next to the tracks or not.

Seems very labor intensive for what should be a simple solution - to label an album type at the album level.  

Even better would be the ability to pre-filter in settings according to ones taste - either pre-filter "edited" songs and only provide explicit versions as options - OR - pre-filter "explicit" songs and only provide the clean versions.  Not choosing either filter would then result in all versions being available.

How long until Spotify provides some level of control over this?  Lots of folks (on both sides) could benefit it seems.

After reading some of the suggestions on the forum on how to find the exlicit songs, I was a bit surprised that, for example, "How many licks" by Lil' Kim is censored both in the "Amended Version" and the normal one. Am I doing something wrong?

That's actually incorrect information. About 3 weeks ago I listened to childish Gambino on spotify and it was not censored. I listened to it today and all of the sudden half of the song was taken out.

This is quite annoying. I pay $10 a month to listen to songs that I want to hear and the versions that have been on there. All of the sudden they take those off and implement awkward pauses. I'm sorry but I'm not 10 years old. The people who are paying the money aren't ones that need the swears to be gone. Maybe you guys should think about who's paying for your service and make decisions based on that.

How about a way to get songs tagged as "uncensored" by the listeners? And then all we need would be a button that would allow us to play only censored or only uncensored songs, and maybe a "don't care" button 😉

I am looking at the album "doggystyle" with the "explicit" warning tacked on to all of the tracks yet it is censored. Since I pay for the service I find it disturbing I am forced to listen to altered music.

Turns out my issue is they have more than one "explicit" album listed. One censored one not. It is easy to to do all this sorting and hunting via Desktop App but on a mobile device it is virtually impossible and annoying.

Suggested posts