Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Censored songs

Solved!

Censored songs

I just wonder why you have to get songs censored the way you do? You literally destroy many songs with that. Maybe cursing doesn't sound so nice, but if you don't like the song they curse on, WHY do you listen to it?

I, as myself, don't care about the cursing but like to listen to the songs meaning. If a rapper made a song with meaning, but had cursing as a way to express himself, you should look at the meaning not the cursing. Maybe you can't find the meaning but that is YOUR problem. Seriously, when a song you like, gets bugged up with suddenly silent moments that doesn't fit in at all... YOU should know what I mean....

170 Replies

The solution is simple...

1. Flag music which is censored with a [censored] image just like you do with explicit.

2. Give us a settings option to hide censored music, unless no uncensored version of the song is available.

Yup, that's exactly what I want.  I want to know what's censored and completely get rid of it.

I found an odd example of censorship of spotify. The clean version is "Dirty" sometimes and there is no explicit version with parental warning sticker available under the artist page. But in my discovery section the album has a Parental warning sticker half the album is "Dirty" and the second half (disc 2 ) is censored. This is a new album and it seems the 2 versions are mixed up and mislabeled when it chooses to be. If I play the clean version some songs are uncensored yet when I re-play it comes up censored. There should be a more precise way to chose what is going to play.

Artist - Five finger death punch

Album- The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell

Hi. The metadata, including "explicit" is uploaded by the publishers and aggragators. If you find music which is incorrectly tagged, you can use this form to report it.

There are several ideas concerning explicit content, including this one, in the ideas section which might be of interest.

Kevman - We don't censor music in any way. Check out Jude's post here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Censored-songs/m-p/30581/highlight/true#M4323

To get unedited versions (on desktop), simply click on the album title and then on the 'X More Releases' underneath the album. This will then list all versions of the album that have been uploaded.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Conversely, I would really like the option to eliminate all censored songs (from radio streams especially).  Every blip, whir, or weird time slip completely pulls me out of the music.  If I hear more than a couple of these, I turn off my Spotify (and sometimes stop listening to music altogether).

All the Spotify folks refer to Jude's post.  However, that avoids the main complaint: the iPhone app.  There is no good way to find the ORIGINAL versions of the songs.  Everything simply defaults to the "edited" version.  That is unacceptable, but given how long this thread has existed, I am not going to hold my breath for a fix.  Thankfully I'm still in my 30 day trial.  This is a deal breaker for an otherwise great service.

The fix seems terribly easy, but nothing has been done for well over a year.

How do you turn off the censorship or find that darn!!! Arrow the Spotify states holds the 2nd explicity album!!!! I wont subscribe unless this is fixed withing my 30 day trial and will go try Pandora next. Thank you

Well sometimes my spotify has a weird glitchwere it plays the uncensored version, however, when i go to play it again, it is again censored, and also, ive seen a youtube video using spotify, have the uncensored version of the same exact song played, it didn't have the explicit sticker and the album doesn't have an uncensored duplicate.

The fact that this problem remains and his handled so poorly is really making me lose my confidence in Spotify. For a service based on giving me access to the music I want, making it so frustratingly and confusingly hard to get the uncensored songs. On the iPhone you're just stuck with it.

Why not allow me to set a user setting, so that if there are 2 copies of an album (clean/dirty) it defaults to the uncensored one for me?

Or why not make that the default? People should have to go out of their way to get a censored song, not the other way around. Even if Spotify itself is not censoring things it is making a clear decision as to which one it prefers, and it is definitely not what the user prefers. 

This haphazard, half-assed UI is really frustrating, and a clear problem. This is not something users need to figure out. This is a problem with your service, and the way your UI handles explicit/clean albums. It is unacceptable. As someone who has paid for Spotify since I had the ability to, taking care of what may look to you like "minor" problems, but actually play a MAJOR role in user unhappiness, is the difference between me continuing to pay you and me moving to other services like RDIO. 

Take care of **bleep** like this, really, Spotify. It's obvious you've been aware of this issue for over a year and ignored it for whatever reason. Get your **bleep** together. 

If the issue is children using should

when sign up should ask if any children use computer and if want clean or dirty versions as default.

possibly also computer camera could verify user by face and not play dirty version if children using computer. 

To get the uncensored version, just go on the computer and add it to your playlist through that and it will show up. Until they add the option to see all of the extra albums that are added, this works.

This is rubbish - uncensored versions in playlists are being replaced by censored versions. It may not be deliberate censorship, but it has that effect. Change the way playlists work!

All of a sudden songs I used to listen to explicitly are censored and the uncensored album disappeared, very annoying.

Me too.  I really hate it.  It's too bad they couldn't make it an account option.  The idea that "everyone should suffer because a 14 year old might hear the F word" is ridiculous.  If your preference is censored or uncensored music, you should be allowed to set that option in your account.  

Spotify - 

Last week Dr. Dre's 2001 Album was not censored, but now this week it has become censored and uncensored versions of the songs are unavailable..... Whats going on? 

I think they're looking to go public and this is a change they feel is "good" to make?  It's causing a lot of angst with their users and it's going to have the negative effect of bad publicity before their IPO.  A whole lot of irritated users aren't good for prospective investors.  We know they can identify songs with "explicit lyrics" so why not just make this an option in your account?  

Unfortunately this is not true.  I'm trying right this moment to listen to The Roots.  It says 'Explicit' beside each sone and yet every single curse word is edited out.

This morning during my run I noticed that now songs that I've downloaded and placed in my own custom playlists are playing as the censored versions.  I know you feel the need to offer these versions, but PLEASE put an option in the control panel so I don't have to hear the censored version.  I've been a spotify member for some time now and I've been completely happy until all this started.  I don't want to have to go through and rebuild all of my playlists.  

spot_cen.gif

Suggested posts