Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

Censored songs

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Censored songs

user-removed
Not applicable

There is no censorship if you listen handsup!!! In handsup music very often you can hear Mother**bleep**ing hands up! and Hands up, mother**bleep**ers! Listen handsup, it's cool music. Spotify is not censoring any music, only labels do that. And hanssup labels not!!!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

This is getting rediculous. The replacement of explicit songs with clean ones on playlists is getting more and more frequent for me, and is annoying as hell.

You really need to do something about this. Make something in the system better for distinguishing between edited and explicit versions, and stop blaming the labels for it. I work in the software industry, so I know darn well that there are plenty of things you can do to fix the problem.

Highlighted

Regular

Sam - why are all my playlists which have been fine since I first purchased spotify (as soon as it was available in the US) being changed to the censored versions.  These are playlists that are both streaming and downloaded.  I've changed nothing, however, all my playlists are slowly being migrated to the "clean" version.   

Highlighted

What do you suggest for mobile users?  I haven't figured out a user friendly way to make sure I didn't select an edited version of an album.

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. Just to emphasise, we don't censor anything. We simply add the music that's given to us.

With your playlists, songs swapping from explicit to clean can happen. So, if an explicit song becomes unavailable, we will then try and match it with another explicit version. If there isn't an explicit version available, we'll pick a clean one. Just so there's a version of the track there.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Highlighted

Regular

Hi Sam - I appreciate you taking the time to get back to everyone. 

I know you're saying you don't censor songs, but something has changed.  I've had spotify since the beginning (US) and my songs being changed without my knowledge or consent is a VERY new thing that's happening here.  

Are there any plans to include a new control panel option such as "censor profanity in music when available" as a choice we can turn off (and receive the song the artist intended by default)?

I've loved and reccomended Spotify for as long as I've had it, but what's happening now has definitely affected my enthusiasm for Spotify.  

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify
In the future, we can't really say. We're constantly changing things in the backend though, for the better, so keep your Spotify up-to-date.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Highlighted

Regular

I have a **bleep**ING idea for you guys.

How about someone from Spotify actually listens to the songs which are posted on their system and tags them accordingly.  I don't care how they were submitted.  You guys should know what you are selling.

For instance, tonight, I went to Amy Winehouse, and created a playlist for "Back to Black" as it was the only version of the album that I saw.  I got the censored version of "Me & Mr Jones" even though other tracks on the album came up as "Explicit".  I then searched for the album "Back to Black" again and added it which had the correct songs.

Spotify is from the UK right?  Are you serious, someone doesn't even know some of the biggest stuff from the UK on their own library?  Ridiculous.

Whatever the problem is, your system sucks in this regard and needs to be fixed, or people are going to switch to another provider.  I love Spotify but this is a regular frustration and shoudn't be.

**bleep**IN' A.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I agree with all the sentiments being expressed in these posts. Why can't spotify curate the albums in a way so that users can clearly distinguish between the explicit and censored versions? This is a paid service and what you are telling us is that "the music is given to us in this way and therefore we will give it to you in the same way."

A good example of this is YG's new album My Krazy Life. There are 4 different versions of this album on spotify, 3 with 14 songs and 1 with 17 songs... yet none of them are uncensored. What is the point of having 3 of the same version? Spotify really needs to start organizing it's music collection before users switch to another service (google music, etc).

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Was browsing the forums today just to try and find an explanation for the YG album mentioned above. FOUR censored versions of the same album.The irony is that it's an album where every other word is an expletive, so there is a lot of empty space in the songs...

SUGGESTED POSTS