Certain songs skip like a scratched cd, on multiple devices/accounts

2 people liked this

Certain songs skip like a scratched cd, on multiple devices/accounts

teueunis

Since a few weeks, certain songs behave like scratched cd's, and my friends are having the exact same problems. For example, the first seconds of "The Storm" by artist Leah Senior(https://open.spotify.com/track/7mZAotAzFbEPp8ifHKkYBZ?si=Hgsm3-hQQc269i5A-9Tdkw) skip and start over, this wasn't the case a month ago. Another example is the song "Crying" by King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, (https://open.spotify.com/track/68jgIRWcoZ8hV8BdxVegRy?si=sg5gIf0AQ_mdVzxccSHlLg) at 2:40 the song is all over the place. 

Will this be fixed? Is this a global issue, or is it just us?
Thanks in advance

6 Replies

Re: Certain songs skip like a scratched cd, on multiple devices/accounts

B-cide
Gig Goer

Really? I haven’t had that problem, that’s the strangest thing I’ve heard.

1 person liked this

Ryanx0r
Composer

That is strange.

As a matter of factly - we also had an issue with a song skipping (like on a vinyl). It was an old song and it was from back in the days when everything was released on vinyl. I believe even before digital stores were around.

"Unfortunately" back then smaller labels and artists didn't keep their master files - so more often than not, artists and labels had to digitize their vinyls. Which was the case with this track - having the scratches recorded and uploaded in a batch delivery to the portals.

Luckily, this was later resolved by the artist miraculously finding the master file so the label/distribution could replace it. I believe this is the case as well, as I checked the songs you mention and also hear the skips.

What's odd is you say you didn't hear that a month ago - which would seem very unlikely, and wouldn't know the answer to.

it seems the artist/label would need to re-deliver that track again through their aggregator.

emiles002

This happens to me on my macbook pro when using bluetooth headphones. It's fine when using wired earbuds. Hope this helps.

1 person liked this

Erinrae

This is happening to me too for the first time ever. I upgraded to a Samsung S9 yesterday. Have switched my phone off and on, updated the app and downloaded all my songs again. I am a Premium user and will cancel if this can't be sorted.

andreas_ae
Regular

I listened to the tracks, nice music btw. The skipping did not occur in "The Storm" - It could have been a buffering error, when the initial loading of music data is not fast enough - although it is also often experienced as pauses/stops. As also suggested in by @Ryanx0r that it could have been a bad copy uploaded to the servers, which has now been replaced by the musician/label.

The scratch/skip at the end of "Crying" actually sounds artistic! By this I mean that the musician might have re-produced the cd-sounding skip on purpose. This is hard to tell without being more familiar with the band's other works.

I like listening test posts : )

Highlighted

andreas_ae
Regular

you're correct it usually falls upon the musicians/labels to re-submit faulty audio files that have unwanted sonic artefacts in them.

SUGGESTED POSTS