Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Chinese songs title suddenly translated to ENGLISH ??

Solved!

Chinese songs title suddenly translated to ENGLISH ??

I listen to both English and Chinese songs and since last week I released that LOTS and LOTS of songs with chinese characters suddenly got replaced by English, either in PinYin or direct translation. Now most of the songs title are NOT RECOGNISABLE.

This happen and I believe could be due to following.

1) This is a translation algorithm within Spotify.

2) This is the metadata provided by the record company.

If it is (1), please fix it. If it is (2), don't Spotify have a policy to insist that metadata supplied by record owner MUST BE IN NATIVE LANGUAGE?

This is a deal breaker NOW after being a premium user for a long time and I really enjoy Spotify.

Attached a playlist of chinese songs curated by Spotify and the circled portions are example of  what happen since last week.

Plan

Premium

Country

Singapore

Device

(iPhone 13 Pro Max, Samsung Tab S8)

Operating System

(iOS 15.5, Android 11)

My Question or Issue

Screenshot (21).png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks Spotify for the reversal. I checked some of my playlists and they are now back to Chinese characters. 

If you still did not see the change, delete and reinstall the app, it works for me. 

View solution in original post

252 Replies

Same with mine. Skynet has decided to translate or use pinyin. I don't like any of the choices. I prefer to read the title in its original language.

Screenshot_20220714-091641_Spotify.jpg

Also, why is the account management so difficult with spotify? It seems I am replying as hej23 but that is not my user details.

Screenshot_20220714-091944_Chrome.jpg

Spotify,please fix this. This is horrible and I would unsubscribe. It makes searching for Chinese music impossible.

This is a dealbreaker for alot of us as we can't find the songs we want to listen to. Please fix this ASA

Dealbreaker for me too! Spotify need to allow user preference of display language  !

Same problem here. Looks like it's a bug resulted from server/backend upgrade?

hopfully this is a bug that is fixed soon and if not then atleast give us an option to revert back to the way it was 

An update. I checked with some records company and they all said they submitted the native language Metadata. They all claimed issues are with Spotify.

I have also checked some of the songs in Apple Music and the titles are all reflected in Chinese.

I STRONGLY BELIEVE IT IS SPOTIFY ERROR CAUSE ALL THE SONGS WERE ALLRIGHT LAST WEEK AND THE CHANGE TO ENGLISH HAPPENED COUPLE DAYS BACK. 

IF SPOTIFY CLAIMED IT IS THE RECORD COMPANIES METADATA, IT DOES NOT HOLD WATER AS IT IS UNLIKELY SO MANY RECORD COMPANIES CHANGE METADATA OVERNIGHT.

FIX IT PLEASE SPOTIFY, THERE'S ALWAYS APPLE MUSIC FOR US TO JUMP SHIP.

Same here and I noticed that the names changed to English slowly throughout the day. Very annoying potential deal breaker for me also and hope it gets fixed soon.☹️

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT MAKES THE APP UNUSABLE. One of my favourite albums have now changed to Pinyin - which is incredibly inconvenient, not to mention unreadable by me. I talked to someone at support and apparently it's a new feature they're piloting? I cannot imagine using the app like this. Spotify needs to change it back before I switch to another streaming platform.

IMG_9626.PNG

Same for me!! I can't even find the song I want to listen anymore. Please change back ASAP!!

計劃

高級

國家

香港 

操作系統

三星

我的問題

Spotify 將粵語歌名改為普通話。請把它們改回傳統文字,因為這是香港的文化。 

same for me, if it aint broke dont fix it!

Same problem with my spotify! New feature? Are they insane? What planet do these people live on to think that this is what listeners want? Change it back or I'm gonna jump ship! 

Other than liking my original post, would urge all Spotify users with the same issue to post their comments and let's hope with enough information, Spotify will reverse this stupid change. 

Now it is almost impossible to recognize the original title of the song.

Am giving Spotify a month to look into this, after which will jump ship. I love Spotify but this is not what I sign up for. When I listen to a Chinese or Cantonese song, I want the song title to reflect the native language, not a translation. 

CAN YOU IMAGINE ONE DAY SPOTIFY DECIDES TO TRANSLATE LYRICS TOO 😩 

This has been a chronic issue but today it's worse. Changing the device language to Chinese Traditional doesn't solve the issues. The song names are now in Chinese on album pages but still pinyin on playlists. So annoying.

It's ridiculous for Spotify to ask to change phone language setting to chinese just to accommodate them. I cannot imagine my phone menu, notifications etc now becomes chinese..

Does Spotify understand Asian market at all?

Same here, this is extremely annoying with many of the song titles in some English or pinyin form. Can't find songs like this anymore.

Clearly they don't. They even use Mandarin pinyin for Cantonese songs. LOL I've just found that on my playlist I have a song "Well-intentioned" and also "When curtain falls". Can you guess which songs are they? 用心良苦  and 曲終人散 lol. Very nice. I have to play the songs to check what they are. 

Suggested posts