Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams

Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams

UPDATE:

The new Coldplay album is now on Spotify. It will be rolling out today (December 11th)

Unfortunately, Coldplay have decided not to release their new album "A Head Full of Dreams" on Spotify.

Spotify is working on it, and they hope they can change their minds soon.

You can read why certain music is not available on Spotify here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/I-want-an-artist-song-on-Spotify/td-p/1136005

coldplayahfod.png

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
18 Replies

They need to maximise their sales against Adele totally understand. I have bought the CD anyway 🙂

The reason is that Spotify is not "premium-only" - some artists refuse to stream their content on platforms offering free subscriptions like spotify does.

Disadvantge to paying Spotify users- spend your money on Tidal, iTunes or Google instead and listen to Coldplay and Adele on release day... 😉

that is not the real reason. coldplay didn't want to make the album free for all users. only for them, who pay as a premium member. but spotify rejected this decision. for me the wrong way! why do I pay for spotify, when there is no diffenrence between me and free users. to make premiun content is a typical way to attract new premium members. now I have the feeling, I waste my money on spotify, because they make no diffenrence between users who pay and user who do not pay. there is nothing wrong, that premium members get more content! 

Ok this is true and there was a time when they gave premium only albums but it's been ages since they did that. But still after seeing Adele sell so many CDs , Coldplay may want a bit of this. I still buy CDs for bands I like streaming isn't enough.

I came from Google All Access about 8 months ago and have been enjoying spotify. yes there's a few niggles (on phones you can sort complete albums only, there's a 10k limit you can add to your library which luckily i'm no where near yet). However - google all access today has cold play's latest album and spotify does not even though I'm a paying subscriber. I think coldplay were happy to give it to premium members only but spotify didn't want to. this is wrong... the premium payers are your gold, your income and should be treated better. going to give google play another trail on 30 days and see what I think (I can't go to apple... I just can't lol).

completely agree!!!, we are 20M users paying for Premium service, only offline playlists and no ads? really? this is ridiculous... Premium users should have the right to access the last albums of the groups, because we pay what we pay for something, 

@ch_thoermer wrote:

that is not the real reason. coldplay didn't want to make the album free for all users. only for them, who pay as a premium member. but spotify rejected this decision. for me the wrong way! why do I pay for spotify, when there is no diffenrence between me and free users. to make premiun content is a typical way to attract new premium members. now I have the feeling, I waste my money on spotify, because they make no diffenrence between users who pay and user who do not pay. there is nothing wrong, that premium members get more content! 

I'm increasingly frustrated that I can't listen to Adele, Cold Play, Foo Fighters and anything else that's good when it's released. And yet, it seems to be on all the other platforms. C'mon spotify! I'm getting close to making the jump to what I believe are lesser quality products, simply for this reason... #bummer Oh yeah - and reason No. 2 is that Spotify continues to not allow us to prefer "clean" versions of songs. So, my young sons are blasting f-bomb laden songs... Again, c'mon spotify. The clock is ticking..

I'm getting really frustrated by this. I signed up for spotify so that I didn't have to pay for or download music anymore. Only this last week I found myself having to resort to other methods of acquiring music twice. Two times this week I got really excited by reading about album releases in the news, first Adele and today Colplay. Eagerly I fire up spotify only to find out that I can not listen to this music. What the hell am I paying you guys 10 euro's a month for? I'm not particularly nostalgic and don't want to listen to old music. Really considering going to another service who can provide the music I want to listen to or just doing it the old fasion way again. 

Spotify's policy of requiring all music to be available to both premium and non-premium subscribers is bad for business since it hurts the very subsribers PAYING Spotify each month (or hadn't they noticed our $$ coming in???). Has anyone at Spotify noticed Apple music?  Not only have they got the Coldplay album but they also offer a true family plan, not Spotify's half baked offering. As soon as Sonos integrates Apple music, it will be farewell Spotify. And I'll wager I wont be the only one!

I've enjoyed being a Spotify member, but I will be cancelling my premium membership today. I cannot justify paying for a premium membership when I am losing out on premium membership benefits that are available on other platforms. I get that Spotify is taking a stand--to make content available for all its membership tiers. It's just a stand I don't care about. I hope they will reconsider their position. When they do, I will be happy to return.

I literally just checked and Apple music does have the new coldplay album. This strongly leads me to believe that it's not a matter of principle that the album is not available, but rather a matter of bad negotiating or simple not willing to shell out the cash for it. Apple music is even cheaper. I'll be switching to Apple music as soon as my discount subscription ends with spotify. I will also urge my mobile provider (where I got the discount) to switch the service they offer to Apple music. 

Not a Coldplay fan, so this specific situation doesn't affect me. However, I do empathize with Spotify premium members that don't won't have access to the album.

I know Spotify likes to treat its free and premium members the same (regarding content) however, they should at least consider offering "premium only" content. Just my opinion.

Now that being said, other then a glitch here and there, I'm a very happy premium subscriber. It's worth every penny to me.

I heard from a friend of mine, that also aldi music ( aldi is a discounter in germany) had the coldplay album on release day. he is laughing on me, because he pays 8 euro and has the content spotify does not have! this is not only ridiculous, this is from any point of view stupid for the marketing. with premium content you have arguments to pay for premium. but in this case, I am feeling wasting my money. spotify has turn their politics, otherwise I am gone.

I don't like Coldplay either, but as a premium user this is ridiculous. They don't know times change? If you don't provide it on Spotify it's okay, I will get the torrent and listen, just like I did with Taylor. 

People have to differentiate between artists like Adele who don't give their new content to any streaming service (free tier or not) where Spotify can't do anything and this case here. It's not an easy decision to make for Spotify. Part of their business model is based on getting new users who previously pirated most of their music to try Spotify Free and then convert them to paying customers. If Spotify now starts to make albums premium only it most certainly will lead to more and more artists wanting the same treatment. That would drastically reduce the appeal of Spotify Free and therefore hurt their business in the long run. So while it really sucks for us paying users, it's probably the right decision for Spotify not to give in to these demands. 

Good news!

There are rumors that the new Coldplay album will be on Spotify this Friday December 11th.

MattSudaSpotify Star

UPDATE:

The new Coldplay album is now on Spotify. It will be rolling out today (December 11th)

MattSudaSpotify Star

A message from Coldplay to their fans:

coldplay.png

Suggested posts