Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Different Artist's music appearing on separate Artist's page

Different Artist's music appearing on separate Artist's page

I have seen multiple occurances of songs appearing on an artist's Spotify page that were more than likely not written by that artist. Example: right now on the artist Man Man's singles list is a new rap song listed by them and some totally unknown artist 'Young Ralow'. I am 99.99% sure this is not actually recorded by man man. 

Other examples are the classic rock band Bad Company currently has a house/club beat called "Rock N Roll", and the jam band Twiddle had a rap song that was present for a while before spotify removed it. 

Are there plans to better control what gets posted to an artists music profile? Are these repeated mistakes on Spotify's backend or can this be uploaded by anyone with the intent to dupe people into listening to their songs ? Regardless the cause, I just hope someone is on the case, since its real disappointing seeing one of your favorite bands release their first single in years, only to hear you've been duped by some schemer. 

thanks for taking the time to read

bad company.png
man man.jpg
6 Replies

Hello there!
You are not alone with this issue, I for one have experienced it. But it was a while ago so I assumed that it got fixed. Does this happen often, every time or is it a rare phenomenon?
Also: Does this occur on every device and what version(s) of Spotify do you use?

I have seen it happen 3 times in the last 3 months, with the Man Man, Bad Company, and Twiddle examples provided. So it’s happening often enough, and definitely not a one off phenomenon. I bet there’s loads more I just havnt been exposed to.

Hi,

since I work for one of the companies supplying content to Spotify I hope I'll be able to give you some insight:

Generally licensors (the companies that have contracts with Spotify; These are typically distributors and content aggregators but also include some bigger record labels) are able to upload content onto any artist page. They have a contractual relationship with Spotify which prohibits them from uploading misleading metadata. Spotify automatically publishes all content delivered by licensors without manual review.

Most artists and labels use a third party as licensor (which is then called a distributor or aggregator). Popular examples for these are Distrokid or CD Baby. It's the licensor's job to ensure the metadata is accurate.

There is also a new program currently in beta using which selected artists can upload music to Spotify directly. These artists can only upload content to their own artist page via Spotify for Artists.

In some cases multiple artists have the same name. In these cases it is possible that music is released on the wrong page by accident. Licensors can prevent this from happening by supplying the page in the metadata or contacting the responsible team at Spotify.

Should you as a user notice inaccurate metadata on Spotify the best way is usually to reach out to the label of the artist so they or their licensor can reach out to Spotify. You can also contact Spotify directly at https://support.spotify.com/is/contact-spotify-anonymous/ (and selecting "Report an offensive or broken track/album").

I hope this helps.

I think that this perhaps explains the situation pretty good, but I still find one part confusing. As you said:

@AnyGaming wrote:

In some cases multiple artists have the same name. In these cases it is possible that music is released on the wrong page by accident. Licensors can prevent this from happening by supplying the page in the metadata or contacting the responsible team at Spotify.

But in this case the artists didn't have the same name, not even close. So what caused is this time? ...or did I missunderstand you?

You are right. The first main artist doesn't have the same name. But if you click on the album you can see next to the song that there are actually three main artists involved. One of them is the owner of the artist page. Songs and singles appear on the artist pages of all main artists but only the first main artist is shown in some cases. 

THEYVE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME

TOO FAR.png

Suggested posts