Announcements

Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs

Highlighted

Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs

Music Fan

Discover Weekly was a great service at first. I've found some really good music through it that I probably wouldn't otherwise. Then, a few months ago, I started getting the same tracks again. The first week with any duplicates actually had a song from the week before on it. How does that make any sense? How does that help me find new music? Isn't the purpose of "Discover Weekly" to discover things?

Ever since then, every week's been about half duplicates (that I can remember, anyway, there might be more) of songs that've been on there since I started keeping up with it, back in August. I'm asking about this now, because this week, there were 5-10 songs that had already been on Discover Weekly twice, making this the third time I "discovered" them.

These aren't songs that I added to any playlists, or saved, or listened to more from the artist, or gave any indication that I liked. I try to play every (new) song on Discover through once to give it a chance. I do that for all of them, and that's the only explanation I can think of. I've heard that skipping a song before 30 seconds marks it disliked, and it won't come up again, but I skipped some of those tracks already, and now they're back a third time.

This week, I only count 9 tracks that I don't remember from Discover already. I'd like it if there was a way to get Discover to stop recommending edgy cybergoth music (we've all had times the algorithm missed the mark), but weeding out duplicates seems like a no-brainer that's critical to the whole purpose of Discover Weekly.

63 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs - Status changed to: Need more info

Roadie

Hi, @eskhn!

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific update or event? Also, have you used the Private Session mode recently?

We'll see what we can suggest. 

Highlighted

Re: Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Looking through my Discover Weekly this week I also noticed around 3 songs that I have previously listened to. This is the first time I've ever seen songs that I know I've listened to before. It might've happened last week as well, I didn't get a chance to listen through all the way last week.

JacobRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Music Fan

I don't think I've used Private Session at all, or at least not in years, and I don't know of any events that could have triggered it. I searched, and it looks like this has already happened, exactly this way, to a bunch of other people too.

Highlighted

Roadie

Thanks for the info, @eskhn.

Can you try unfollowing your Discover Weekly, and then heading to Browse > Discover > to follow it again afterwards? Does unfollowing and following again help?

Also, have you tried a reinstall? Just follow the steps here

After you've checked these, give us a shout 🙂

Highlighted

Music Fan

@ZullyBThanks. I unfollowed, reinstalled, and re-followed. I'll get back to you when the Discover playlists refresh on Monday.

Highlighted

Roadie

Sounds like a plan!

We'll be waiting for your response.

Take care 🙂 

Highlighted

Music Fan

@ZullyBThe playlist is up, and I didn't get any double repeats this week, but there were still a good 10-15 tracks from previous weeks.

Highlighted

Roadie

Thanks for letting us know, @eskhn!

We recommend listening to more music so that Discover Weekly gets updated. It is normal for this to happen, but don't worry, we'll pass you comments on to the right team. 

Let us know if you have more doubts 🙂 

Highlighted

Re: Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs - Status changed to: Not an issue

Roadie

SUGGESTED POSTS