Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs

Highlighted

Re: Discover Weekly keeps recycling the same songs

Arisu

This is totally an issue, I want my 30 new songs I've never listened to before every week !

Highlighted

itiban
Casual Listener

still no chance anybody sorts it out?

Highlighted

might_be_wrong
Casual Listener

I don't think Spotify cares about this issue to be solved, or perhaps they think the algorithm is good enough (hint: it isn't). It seems impossible to get in touch with any actual staff, but there is a tiny little help page for Discover Weekly here: https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/playlists/discover-weekly/

They say that plays from the Discover Weekly playlist itself don't count towards future suggestions. So you need to keep on listening to music on other playlist to generate new (and hopefully better) suggestions. If you only listen to Discover Weekly all week long, the library content it is generated from does not change and I guess that is why the same songs keep popping up. So if you happen to have a really cool Discover Weekly playlist, copy the songs to a different playlists and keep on listening there. However, it is still unclear to me how long into the past the algorithm actually looks, so considering that this of course is all just a theory, I have no clue how much time it would take for things to improve. 

Again, Spotify, this sucks. If you are not willing to help, at least be more transparent about how the algorithm works so we can figure things out on our own. 

Highlighted

jon92828

Me too. The main reason I like Spotify is for Discover Weekly, and since the songs are no longer changing, that reason is gone. Google Play music has a killer feature (upload your own music). Their Discover Weekly equivalent was pretty terrible a year ago, but I'm sure it's improved while Spotify's is getting worse.
I'll jump ship soon if Spotify don't want to resolve this.

Highlighted

Johnnyrobbs
Casual Listener
Hey y’all i found something that isn’t quite what I’m looking for but it
might help. You can go to discover weekly radio, by going to the top right
“...” and go to radio. At least in there you can like or dislike songs. No
clue if that is a persistent effect or only for that radio, but at least I
can tell them to never play Grateful Dead on my discover that day way. Let
me know if this helps!
Highlighted

CloudCapitol

I see this is a fairly old thread, but I'm having the same problem. My "Discover Weekly" is playing ONLY songs that I've already heard before – that I've either already got in my library and/or continue to get in Discover Weekly over and over. Whey does Discover Weekly bring me songs I already have in my library? That's not helping me discover anything. Ditto for songs that have been in there week after week. 

Highlighted

Krumpet

I got to this thread from a google search - I felt like Discover Weekly was way too timid in offering new songs. After reading here I realized I was BARELY getting new suggestions at all!

Still waiting on some way to get Spotify to expose me to new music.

Highlighted

nuoroda

Spotify,

it seems you do not care at all!!

Last week I listened to Beach House all albums, and on Monday Discover Weekly I find songs from Beach House. Such a good discovery..

Shame on you

Highlighted

hdnhrt
Regular

Hi,

After many months of improvement, I find the Discovery Weekly again a little repetitive, with songs remaining from one week to another, or old songs reappearing despite being put in a playlist a long ago. I do record my Discovery Weekly every week, so I know exactly when it fails. Please consider making Discovery Weekly more adventurous at least, so it can really help discovering music rather than listen to music I already know...

At some point, I imagine that the system revolves around itself, rather than finding out unexpected corners of music. That would make sense, but not the fact that some songs are clearly already known by the user. Where is the "delete duplicates" function in Spotify's system ?

I'm still discovering great artists through Discovery Weekly, so it's all fine, but maybe some fine tuning would be appreciated by many users.

Cheers,

Hadrien

Highlighted

PygmyLepper
Regular

I'm even getting songs I've already disliked in my Discover Weekly.

This week there are 2 songs already disliked. This is the third week in a row I've had disliked songs turn up. It's so hard set on giving me the same songs over and over again it's even ignoring my dislikes.

SUGGESTED POSTS