Do artists get paid for offline listening?

Solved!

Do artists get paid for offline listening?

Trstn
Regular

I download all my music that I don't pay for (streaming) to my phone, because who wants to constantly use data.

I'm also a music producer with content on streaming services. Am I getting paid for offline listens for the millions of people who might stream things once, but then download it to their phones?

I can't find an answer to this anywhere online. I would only assume no, cause how could you track offline listens, but I hope I'm wrong. If it's a no, what are the future plans to fix this for Artists?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Do artists get paid for offline listening?

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Trstn,

I believe that artists do get paid, even when the listener is always listening to their songs in offline mode.

Spotify probably tracks how many times a song's been played, and when the app's back online, it 'uploads it to the server'.

Hope this helps!

MaximRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
3 Replies
Solution!

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Trstn,

I believe that artists do get paid, even when the listener is always listening to their songs in offline mode.

Spotify probably tracks how many times a song's been played, and when the app's back online, it 'uploads it to the server'.

Hope this helps!

MaximRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

El0h1m
Regular

Today's mobile plans are so good ... don't need to go offline - here in the UK (giffgaff).

But yes... Spotify will upload all your stream numbers once you online again.

Highlighted

johnnormanmusic

Ok excellent. Artists get paid for offline listening in the way of plays... but I think there is another, almost more important question in there that doesn't seem to be answered...

Are artists and/or songwriters getting paid $0.091 every time the song is SAVED for offline listening? Technically speaking... this should be a completely different royalty being paid out.

Unless we have found a way to defy the laws of physics, one thing cannot actually be in two places at the same time. So with that said, in order to "save" something for offline use, a copy has to have been made. Copyright law states that when a copy of music is made, a mechanical royalty is generated; generally $0.091. This royalty is to be paid directly to the songwriter, the songwriters publisher, or to an appointed Agency where the publisher/songwriter can collect it from. In this case, it's likely Harry Fox.

But the question remains... is Spotify actually paying out this royalty?

SUGGESTED POSTS