Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Does a station based on an ever-changing playlist change as the playlist changes?

Solved!

Does a station based on an ever-changing playlist change as the playlist changes?

So, let's say I start a radio station based on Discover Weekly, or Liked From Radio, or a continually changing curated playlist. Will this new station forever play music based on the playlist at the time the station was created? Or will the station change its mix of music as the playlist it was based on changes?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So, I tried this out for myself on the Android app, and I couldn't reproduce this behavior (in Pythagoras' post) at all. I made a playlist with one song ("Smells Like Teen Spirit") and then created a radio station, followed it, and looked at the songs. Then I changed the song in my playlist (to "Born Slippy (Nuxx)") and again looked at the radio station I had created and followed. Completely different type of songs -- fittingly, lots of techno music instead of 90s alternative rock. So the answer to my original question appears to be "yes." I don't know how you got different results -- maybe the behavior is different for Android vs another platform?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I'm pretty sure the station will only be based on the playlist it was created from. I don't think the station will change with the playlist. You can always create another station though. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

No one's contradicted you, so I'll accept that answer even though you don't seem to be 100% sure. Thanks.

You're welcome! I've never tried it out, but I'm pretty sure of my answer. Stations are created based on what is currently in the playlist.

It couldn't hurt to try it out and see.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I tried it. It doensn't work, and I  wish it did.

Here's what I did:

I made a playlist with one Rolling Stones song (Sweet Virigina).  Radio generated Stones, Allman Brothers, etc.

Changed that song to a different RS song (Some Girls).  Radio generated the exact same playlist as before.

Changed the song to a Weather Report song (Birdland). Radio generated the exact same playlist as before!

Added several more Weather Report albums. Radio generated the exact same playlist as before!

Really not how this should work.

Great idea to do this experiment! Thank you for the definitive answer, and I agree completely that this is not how it should work.

Thanks to whoever marked my comment as a solution, but it's really not a solution.  It does answer the question in the OP: No, radio staions don't change when a playlist changes. But they should.  That would be a solution.

Marked as solution

So, I tried this out for myself on the Android app, and I couldn't reproduce this behavior (in Pythagoras' post) at all. I made a playlist with one song ("Smells Like Teen Spirit") and then created a radio station, followed it, and looked at the songs. Then I changed the song in my playlist (to "Born Slippy (Nuxx)") and again looked at the radio station I had created and followed. Completely different type of songs -- fittingly, lots of techno music instead of 90s alternative rock. So the answer to my original question appears to be "yes." I don't know how you got different results -- maybe the behavior is different for Android vs another platform?

Interesting.  What I described took place on the desktop app, Mac OS X.

I'll see what happens on iOS.

Suggested posts