Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

El-P's 2007 album "I'll Sleep When You're Dead"

Solved!

El-P's 2007 album "I'll Sleep When You're Dead"

This album, which is one of my favorite Hip Hop albums and got me into the genre, was once on Spotify.  However, now it isn't.  I do not know the processes involved with liscensing and all of that stuff, but there are several El-P albums on Spotify, just not the one I want the most.  I'm just checking to make sure that it wasn't left off by mistake or whatever.

Thank you in advance, and if I posted in the wrong place please let me know.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

My only guess is that El-P's partner at Def Jux has made it difficult to release DJX releases. Aesop created Block Block Chop and re-released everything that was put out on DJX. Lif just got I Phantom on Spotify in the last year. There isn't much Def Jux on Spotify.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I'll Sleep When You're Dead isn't there, as well as his first solo album Fantastic Damage. There is most certainly a licensing issue that is preventing those titles from appearing, as they both used to be available on Spotify.

When you look at other artists from the Def Jux Era, if any album that was produced on that label is now on Spotify, it was because the artist aquired the licensing rights, and then re-released it under their own label. This is true for all of the artists that used to be signed to Def Jux, including Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, Canibal Ox, RJD2, and more.

Being that El-P was basically the head of the label, he must have had issues aquiring the exclusive licensing to his solo material, as ridiculous as that may sound. Unfortunately, until something gets straightened out, we are stuck with his incomplete catalog.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

My only guess is that El-P's partner at Def Jux has made it difficult to release DJX releases. Aesop created Block Block Chop and re-released everything that was put out on DJX. Lif just got I Phantom on Spotify in the last year. There isn't much Def Jux on Spotify.
Marked as solution

I'll Sleep When You're Dead isn't there, as well as his first solo album Fantastic Damage. There is most certainly a licensing issue that is preventing those titles from appearing, as they both used to be available on Spotify.

When you look at other artists from the Def Jux Era, if any album that was produced on that label is now on Spotify, it was because the artist aquired the licensing rights, and then re-released it under their own label. This is true for all of the artists that used to be signed to Def Jux, including Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, Canibal Ox, RJD2, and more.

Being that El-P was basically the head of the label, he must have had issues aquiring the exclusive licensing to his solo material, as ridiculous as that may sound. Unfortunately, until something gets straightened out, we are stuck with his incomplete catalog.

So sick of skippin on electrified hopscotch grids

Suggested posts